Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Wiring air handler goodman A-30 (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=267994)

• Oct 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
    ccc0427
    Wiring air handler goodman A-30
    Trying to take goodman air handler A-30 from straight ac and convert to heat pump fan coil only has three low voltage wires how do I go about wiring?
  • Oct 10, 2008, 06:09 PM
    hvac1000
    First you have to change the flow rater to the size for the outside Goodman unit you are going to use. This is located near the coil in the old A-30 unit.

Next is wiring.

You will need a new thermostat that has two stage one stage cool capability.
    You will probably need to run new low voltage wire from the new thermostat to the old inside unit and then to the new outside unit. You will have to count the number of wires you have and then figure out how many you will need.

When you get that done you will have to wire it all up. The outside unit will have a diagram on the access door to help you with the wiring. When you get to the inside unit is where your problem will be since the wiring diagrams are no longer posted on the Goodman site for your unit.

I have included a generic White Rodgers wiring diagram so you can see which wires go where and they activate. A HVAC contractor or you if capable can follow this diagram and make changes to the inside unit so it will work for a heatpump.

I have no other information on this subject and I suggest you contact a HVAC contractor for the attachment and charging of your outside unit along with the flowrater change out since this is a very sensitive situation and it is possible the flowrater number will change depending upon the superheat/subcooling of the system after start up.

Good luck.
  • Oct 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
    hvac1000
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    First you have to change the flow rater to the size for the outside Goodman unit you are going to use. This is located near the coil in the old A-30 unit.

Next is wiring.

You will need a new thermostat that has two stage one stage cool capability.
    You will probably need to run new low voltage wire from the new thermostat to the old inside unit and then to the new outside unit. You will have to count the number of wires you have and then figure out how many you will need.

When you get that done you will have to wire it all up. The outside unit will have a diagram on the access door to help you with the wiring. When you get to the inside unit is where your problem will be since the wiring diagrams are no longer posted on the Goodman site for your unit.

I have included a generic White Rodgers wiring diagram so you can see which wires go where and they activate. A HVAC contractor or you if capable can follow this diagram and make changes to the inside unit so it will work for a heatpump.

I have no other information on this subject and I suggest you contact a HVAC contractor for the attachment and charging of your outside unit along with the flowrater change out since this is a very sensitive situation and it is possible the flowrater number will change depending upon the superheat/subcooling of the system after start up.

Good luck.

Forgot to add the diagram