Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Central Air compressor and fan want come on? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=473749)

• May 26, 2010, 03:19 PM
    caji316
    Central Air compressor and fan want come on?
    Today I tried to cut on my central air and the fan inside came on and just blows regular air. I went outside and neither the compressor nor the fan was on. I took the casing off the unit, after cutting it off, and then cut it back on and the contactor does "pull in" the contacts but nothing else happens. I then checked the starter capacitor, round one with 3 wires, (as I have 2 , 1 for the fan and 1 starter for the compressor). The big round starter capacitor "did not" have a charge on it. Shouldn't it have had a charge on it? I just replaced the contractor 10 months ago and it still looks good and clean and no pitting. Does anyone think it may be this starter capacitor? Would this be a first choice over having to call a pro and have him check the freon level as the interlocks may be keeping both from starting. I had this unit serviced last year and freon was fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am on VA disability and don't have much money. Sorry I loaned my test meter out and can't tell if I have 240 volts on both side of contactor but with it pulling in I would guess it would be O.K. Thanks for any help...
  • May 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
    hvac1000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by caji316 View Post
    Today I tried to cut on my central air and the fan inside came on and just blows regular air. I went outside and neither the compressor nor the fan was on. i took the casing off the unit, after cutting it off, and then cut it back on and the contactor does "pull in" the contacts but nothing else happens. I then checked the starter capacitor, round one with 3 wires, (as I have 2 , 1 for the fan and 1 starter for the compressor). The big round starter capacitor "did not" have a charge on it. Shouldn't it have had a charge on it? I just replaced the contractor 10 months ago and it still looks good and clean and no pitting. Does anyone think it may be this starter capacitor? Would this be a first choice over having to call a pro and have him check the freon level as the interlocks may be keeping both from starting. I had this unit serviced last year and freon was fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am on VA disability and don't have much money. Sorry I loaned my test meter out and can't tell if I have 240 volts on both side of contactor but with it pulling in I would guess it would be O.K. Thanks for any help....

Get your tester back since you need to make sure you have voltage first!
  • May 26, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Joshdta

Go check your breaker, if you have 2 capacitors I don't think both would be bad, the fan or the compressor 1 should run. Inless you have had a fan cycling device installed for cold weather operation then if the compressor did not start neither would the fan.
  • May 27, 2010, 05:55 AM
    caji316

I went and got my tester and like you said, no power to unit. I think maybe either someone turned my cut-off up-side down to disable it. But after cleaning the compressor cap. Terminals and turning the disconnect back the right way all is well. I might myself had put the disconnect back in upside down to be safe while I was working on the unit, I don't really know now. But anyway, it is back working and my very few dollars are still in my pocket thanks to you. Thanks again, get place to get answers.

P/S... I also thought 1 or the other would run, the compressor or the fan if just 1 of the caps. Was bad. I am not an electrician but did go to school for electronics.