Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youngB_1621 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Emancipated
    Hi my name is Brittany.I'm 16yrs old and about to have a baby. I'm writing to ask how do I get emancipated. I've heard that as long as I have a job, a place to stay, show that I can take care of myself without my parents, and have a good reason why I want to get emancipated than I can. I have a full-time job, I don't have my own place but I have a close friend who's mom said that I'm welcome to stay there until I save up enough to get my own, which I know that I can do. I am a very hard working teen, I'm not in school, but I do plan to go back, education is very important. I've had to drop out because of the relationship I had with my mom and because of our living situation, it was hard to go to school when moving from place to place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like a going to school everyday person but I do plan to go back and get my high school diploma.

The reason for me wanting to get emancipated is because of my mom. I know that she is trying her best/well she said she's trying her best to support me but 3-4yrs, I'd think I'm better off supporting myself. We don't really have a good relationship, we never got along. We don't even have our own place to call home, we go from place to place. And I try to work things out with her, but she this wants to do every thing her way. I've had friends mom who said that they would let me stay at there house and finish school and support myself, but she would never agree with it even thou she wasn't doing anything.Because my dad died, every month she gets money for herself and for me, and she gives me none of it. She as nothing to show that she as been supporting me. She don't buy me cloth,personal items, or other things that I need. I'm not saying that she is a bad mom, I know that when my dad died she had lost something just as much as I did but I just think I can do better without her.

I know what emancipation means and I know that it's not a really good thing to do but I this rather live on my own. Some body told me in order to get emancipated I need my parents or a judge to approve of it, but my mom won't approve and I don't know how to contact a judge to ask for approval. So if there is anybody that can help me please contact me at [email protected].
    Thank you
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 04:30 PM
    What state do you live in? It does matter, concerning the laws may vary.

See the following, you should be able to find your state:

State Laws on Emancipation of Minors
    youngB_1621 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    What state do you live in? It does matter, concerning the laws may vary.

See the following, you should be able to find your state:

State Laws on Emancipation of Minors

I LIVE IN Virginia... AND I'VE BEEN TO THAT SITE ALREADY, IT WAS NO HELP.
    crash_4_hope Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:47 PM
    I really don't know much on the subject. Maybe call the local courthouse and ask to meet with a judge or someone about the topic. It is really hard to get good grades or even pass when you move a lot and all the school are teaching different things. Good luck,. Sorry if this is no help for you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 07:21 PM
    You need to actually read through the site - look down on the left where it states the states and find Virginia. Read across - you will find emanicpation under Title 16.1, Chapter 11, Article 15. Reads as follows:

§ 16.1-331. Petition for emancipation.
    Any minor who has reached his sixteenth birthday and is residing in this Commonwealth, or any parent or guardian of such minor, may petition the juvenile and domestic relations district court for the county or city in which either the minor or his parents or guardian resides for a determination that the minor named in the petition be emancipated. The petition shall contain, in addition to the information required by § 16.1-262, the gender of the minor and, if the petitioner is not the minor, the name of the petitioner and the relationship of the petitioner to the minor.

(1986, c. 506.)

If you do not understand that, then maybe this website all about emancipation in Virginia, by a minor, will help you:
    Virginia Emancipation [Archive] - Legal Information

From what your state law is, since you are 16, you can petition the court on your own behalf. Then you need to call the clerk of court or talk to an attorney and find out what all you need to do to get your petition started.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 07:47 PM
    The jest of the entire thing is that family court is going to look at what is in their opinoin, the best interest of "YOU" They may do a home study, to determine if there is a valid reason that you need to be emancipated.

You will need an attorney, and one of the things they look for is not you staying with a friend ( although you can be) but making enough money to pay the rent if you could not stay with that friend, since friends have fights and you would have to move out, so if that happened, where do you live ?
    And then having the baby, you will be out of work, you will have to show you can provide not only for you but also the baby.
    So your first stop will be hiring an attorney, my guess a couple thousand just to get the ball rolling and if there are several court dates, more.
    miaaaa Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2012, 05:35 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking about getting Emancipated [ 9 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I am tired of living at home. I get into fights with my dad (who is very good at psychological abuse) and whenever this happens, I am forced to my room for days on end. Usually the only thing I come out for is to go to school. Recently, my boyfriend (who is older than I am)...

To be emancipated in INdiana. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am 16 And will turn 17 in 5 days. My parents are really mantally and sometimes physically abusive to me I have other brothers but I'm the oldest and the only one who gets the abuse. I can't even ask a question without my dad getting mad and yelling and sometimes if he gets mad to fast he...

17 and Pregnant, does that make me emancipated in Colorado? [ 1 Answers ]

My motehr has full custady. Her and I don't get along what so ever. I've looked up and down to see how I could get emancipated. But I don't have the money, and I can't prove that I can 100% support myself, without any help. The court house can't give me "legal adivce" or tell me what the law is....

I wants emancipated from my home [ 7 Answers ]

I am 15 will be 16 dec. 18 my mom died when I was 10 and dad is dying of cancer. I get a check each month and see non of it. I want to start my life now before he leaves me in a hole some one please help me... I live in Indiana so if you know anything please help

21 years-old... am I emancipated? [ 2 Answers ]

I am almost 20 years-old, and I live in Indiana. I was accepted to my college of choice with a scholarship, but they expect a certain "family contribution," which my parents do not have. Will I be automatically emancipated from my parents when I turn 21? I would be able to receive the money I need...

View more questions Search