Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennrodr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
    An ex moving with their child away from dad
    Hello,

I want to explain my situation in detail because the more you know, the better you can help me. So please forgive the length of my question.

My fiancée has a 4 year old son with his ex-girlfriend. They have been separated for over a year now and had decided to not get involve with the court. My fiancée pays monthly child support in which both parents have agreed on a set price and he also pays for anything the child needs. He's great with his kid and he sees his son at least twice a week if not even more. The mother of the child does not work, only going to school and is living with her side of the family. My fiancée basically pays for everything the child needs and wants. In a year or two from now, the mother might move to another state because her mother is moving there and she won't have a place to live that she can afford down here in Florida. The father and I live together and we would be more than happy to have the child stay with us, but I do not know what to expect if we file for custody. The mother already said that she would not allow the son to stay with the father over summers or holidays. She has no problem if it's a day or two, but if its more than a week, she won't allow it (hence why he would move). Reason for her stubbornness is basically she doesn't want to be without her son for such a length of time. What can we (my fiancée and I) do to prevent such a separation of the father and son?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
    You have to go to court. Your fiancé made a mistake in not having some sort of agreement drawn up in the first place. Its lucky that they are able to communicate and be civil but an agreement would have had some sort of barriers on where she can move, visitation, etc. Best of luck.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:26 PM
    You can go to court and either file a motion for custody or a motion for visitation that would preclude any lengthy separation between your fiancé and his child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving a child out of state [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to move my daughter out of state. Her father and his family are not the best influence for her life. Her father and I were never married. I am getting married in one month and my fiancé has two great job opportunities out of state. Any suggestions, advice, or anyone have experience...

Child suuprt increase , loving dad [ 2 Answers ]

My ex wife and I share 50/50 custody. At the time of the divorce, child support was calculated to be a meager amount and she has been angry about it ever since. Because of the 50/50 custody and the differnce of income, at the time the support payment is low. She since has been forced to resign...

Moving out of state with my child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just got a divorce, and I want to move out of state, to better myself and my son lifes, my husband doesn't really have much connects with our son but he is saying if I leave I will be in trouble what do I do.

Child custody - moving to another state [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 15 and she and her mother are moving to another state. She has never lived with me and I saw her only 4 hours a week. Do I have legal recourse to have her spend extended time with me? Can I prevent the move? At 15, 16 in May 2007, does she have the right to decide>

Moving out of state with child post-divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and have begun legal process to leave the state with my son, of whom I have physical custody. Any of you been through this? Suggestions? Advice? I am moving toward employment, family and friends back to my home town, in large part to take over a long-established family...

View more questions Search