Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Can you become emancipated without parental consent? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=436590)

• Jan 18, 2010, 07:48 PM
    jbsouthdakota
    Can you become emancipated without parental consent?
    I am 16, live in South Dakota and am on the B honor roll at my high school. My dad has legal custody of me, but I live with my mom and her fiancé and have been for the past 3 years. I have a job and an alternative place to live with a friend. My mom and I do not get along. She smokes pot, pushes her religion and values on me. The environment at my house is putting emotional stress on me and is not making everything harder for me. Neither of my parents would agree with emancipation and I want to know if it is possible for me to become emanicapted without any parental consent.
  • Jan 18, 2010, 07:50 PM
    jbsouthdakota

**and is making everything harder for me.
  • Jan 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Fr_Chuck

So move back with dad, legally that is where you are suppose to be.'

To get emaniipated you will have to hire an attorney and sue your dad, since he is the one with legal cusotdy, your mom would be included also.

You can't just live with a friend, you will have to prove to the court, you make enough money to pay your own rent, electric and all of your bills on your own.
  • Jan 18, 2010, 09:01 PM
    jaysie90

So what's wrong with living with your dad? If you are having problems with your mom then it would be best to live with your father, since he has legal custody.
  • Jan 19, 2010, 07:47 AM
    ScottGem

Emancipation is something granted by a court, so permission from your parents is not required, though it may help.

But getting legally emancipated is a difficult, drawn out process. As Chuck said, you have to prove you can live on your own, pay your bills etc.

Why are you living with Mom if Dad has custody? As others have asked, why not just move back with dad?
  • Jan 21, 2010, 03:17 PM
    jbsouthdakota

My dad cannot support me financially.
  • Jan 21, 2010, 05:04 PM
    cdad

Help him support you. That's the easiest way.
  • Jan 21, 2010, 06:11 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbsouthdakota View Post
    My dad cannot support me financially.

So, you want to be emancipated so you would have to be working and earning enough to live on your own, so you and dad pay bills together.
  • Jan 22, 2010, 08:28 AM
    jaysie90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    So, you want to be emancipated so you would have to be working and earning enough to live on your own, so you and dad pay bills together.

Exactly. If you really want out to move away from your mom, get a job and help out your dad with all the bills. It's way better than being alone financially.