Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Paternity and child support, parents in two separate states. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=700255)

• Sep 7, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Charles Wilson
    Paternity and child support, parents in two separate states.
    I am a college student in Colorado. Had a short relationship with a girl there, broke up and she moved to Florida. She calls me back 5 months later and says she is pregnant with my child. She puts unknown on birth certificate. Now, 6 months later she wants child support. I don't have any idea if the child is mine. I have no income of my own until I graduate college (two more years.) I want to avoid paternity establishment and child support until I am employed.
  • Sep 7, 2012, 05:14 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Wilson View Post
    I am a college student in Colorado. Had a short relationship with a girl there, broke up and she moved to Florida. She calls me back 5 months later and says she is pregnant with my child. She puts unknown on birth certificate. Now, 6 months later she wants child support. I don't have any idea if the child is mine. I have no income of my own until I graduate college (two more years.) I want to avoid paternity establishment and child support until I am employed.

Has she filed for child support? If so, DNA will be required by the Court. If you are the father you will be ordered to pay.

The child needs food, shelter, clothing, medical treatment while you are in college.

If the child is yours and the mother goes on public assistance, the State will go after you for reimbursement.

Unfortunately, you are neither the first nor the last person who has had to drop out of college or change to part-time in order to support a child.
  • Sep 7, 2012, 05:16 PM
    smoothy
    Don't agree to or admit to, or sign anything until the court orders you to take a DNA test and the results come back. You can't refuse that, and unless you have an evil identical twin... if it says its you, then its you and vice-verse. If its you, then man up and pay up. Because they will hound you for life to get it from you...
  • Sep 8, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    It is not up to you as to waiting, you will start paying when the court order happens. If she files and you don't object and request a DNA test, you will be paying.

So you wait now and see what she does. If it is your child and proven though DNA, you will start paying when the court orders it, You do not get to decide when it starts
  • Sep 8, 2012, 07:26 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Wilson View Post

They don't teach you how to write a question in that Colorado college?