Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Dropping A Back Child Support Case (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=302101)

• Jan 11, 2009, 12:09 PM
    ProudMommy09
    Dropping A Back Child Support Case
    I have a 5 year old son from a previous relationship. I filed a child support order when my son was young but neither I nor the father followed through with it. My child's father has never been in his life. My husband has been his father for 4 years now. My son's biological father understands this and has never tried to interfere.He signed "Consent to Adopt" papers so my husband could adopt my son. Somehow,it turns out that the child support has been adding up.

My question is can I have the back child support dropped? I do not want any money from my son's bio father. He has always been willing to pay me support,I have just always refused. We were not aware that the case was not dropped. I have never received a check from the government for child support. That being said,does any one know of a way I can have all the back child support dropped so my sons bio father does not have to pay it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
    George_1950

What state are you from?
  • Jan 11, 2009, 01:27 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ProudMommy09 View Post
    I have a 5 year old son from a previous relationship. I filed a child support order when my son was young but neither I nor the father followed through with it. My child's father has never been in his life. My husband has been his father for 4 years now. My son's biological father understands this and has never tried to interfere.He signed "Consent to Adopt" papers so my husband could adopt my son. Somehow,it turns out that the child support has been adding up.

My question is can I have the back child support dropped? I do not want any money from my son's bio father. He has always been willing to pay me support,I have just always refused. We were not aware that the case was not dropped. I have never recieved a check from the government for child support. That being said,does any one know of a way I can have all the back child support dropped so my sons bio father does not have to pay it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Were you accepting some sort of Government assistance and that Agency is owed the money? (And, as "George" said, what State?)
  • Jan 11, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Fr_Chuck

The attorney doing the adoption should be able to tell you for sure.
    In some states, as part of the procedure to signing over their rights, you waive all future and past payments, in other payments he is obligated to pay till the adoptoin happens,
    But if you don't report him, and if you don't turn him over to chid enforcement, who is going to go after him
  • Jan 12, 2009, 11:44 AM
    ProudMommy09

I live in Georgia now and he is in Florida but the child support was filed in Alabama. I have never received any type of assistance. He is not worried about being picked up. His credit is just really bad on account of the child support.