Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beachbumla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
    3way dimmers
    I need some help please!

I just replaced 2 sets of 3 way toggle switches with 2 sets of 3-way dimmers (both in double electrical boxes). One set in the centerhall entranceway and the other set at the top of the stairway. WIth the upstairs light both dimmers light the light fine. With the downstairs light, however, only the upstairs dimmer fully illuminates the light, the downstairs dimmer only illuminates it half way.
    My question is: did I most likely wire one the dimmers incorrectly or is the downstairs dimmer defective.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone can provide.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Normally you can not switch 2 3 ways with 2 3 way dimmers, If one set works, you have stumbled onto something, Usually regular 3 way dimmers, you can only use at one location. There are X10 and other exceptions.
    What type dimmers are they?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Hey Strat, you forgot to keep up with your education. 3-way dimmers.: You must, use a master and slave.

Lutron Electronics - Maestro

Available at Lowe's.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 07:51 AM
    That was one of the "Exceptions", I am assuming regular 3 way dimmers.
    X10 even allows a wireless 3 way wall switch, slightly thicker than a wall plate, and can be doublestuck anywhere, one beside the bed if you like.
    I keep up with my Education, I would bet he doesn't have Maestro.
    I was also asking what type of dimmer. I am curious.
    beachbumla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Hey Strat, Thanks for the information. I rechecked after reading your post, and you are correct. The only way they work properly is if one set is left with the knob rotated all the way to the right. The dimmers I'm using are made by 'Classic Accents', they are 600w AC120v 60Hz dimmers.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Bu the Mastrtro dimmers don't act that way.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
    While the Maestro line of dimmers work in both locations, as master/slave, these are a high end product, and are not the cheapest product on the market:

Lutron Maestro Dimmers, Timers & Fan Controls - ProLighting.com

As an example.

I would love to sell products such as this, the higher the cost, the more margin I make.

But most average homeowners are interested in the typical, inexpensive products.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 7, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Tk... you know better than anyone that most homeowners need to be educated. I'll bet it wouldn't take you long to show them the benefits of higher quality products... especially if it means not having to pay you to come back in a year and replace the junk they bought.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 07:50 AM
    It is hard to "Sell Quality" People love to save a dollar, and think if they paid the least price, they got the Best Deal. I try to Find the Best Quality Products, then find the best price for those items. I hate Cheap. There are people that will Pay $10,000 for a front door, But then want a Free or Cheap Alarm System to protect their Family and Property?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
    I have had people pay over $100 for a sheet of cabinet grade paneling, many years ago, and then complain, ( I could not use the B word) about $25.00 for an outlet that code said was needed.

Nowadays I certainly understand about costs. I will always mention higher end products, if I think it will benefit the customer, or if there is a solution that can solve a problem.

This issue was clearly someone already had two standard 3 way dimmers installed, when only one was needed. I just wanted to help clear up the suggestion of the Lutron Maestro product line, that is is not the standard dimmer, and is more expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting on Dimmers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit dedicated for 16 6" Halo IC recessed lights in my basement. To control these recessed lights, I installed one 3 way dimmer that controls 8 of the recessed light and the other 8 recessed lights are controlled by a regular single switch dimmer. Currently both dimmers work...

Replacing fixture on 3way circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced 2 new light fixtures in our hallway and when we put the circuit breaker back on, the lights are on and remain on. Wondering if the light switches might need to be replaced? Or maybe it's wired incorrectly?

Disable a Motion Sensor on 3way Switches [ 2 Answers ]

I'm ready to "throw in the towel" on my outdoor floodlight, motion sensor operated by three-way switches. Most of the time the driveway just stays in the dark because the two different motion sensors I've tried are complicated to figure out on a 3-way switch. So I simply want to by-pass the...

Ceiling fan remote to 3way switch [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a handheld fan remote to a 3 way switch? There are a million wire ac in, what does it all mean?

3way or 4 way switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's. There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor. We want to...

View more questions Search