Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slabb123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Replacing fixture on 3way circuit
    I replaced 2 new light fixtures in our hallway and when we put the circuit breaker back on, the lights are on and remain on. Wondering if the light switches might need to be replaced? Or maybe it's wired incorrectly?
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Sounds like you have a miswired fixture. This site has a number of good diagrams that cover the different ways possible to wire a 3 way switch. Maybe one of these diagrams can help you figure out what is wrong: Installing A 3-way Switch With Wiring Diagrams - The Home Improvement Web Directory

My guess would be that you have power through one of the lights and instead of sending the power through the switches and the lines from the switches to the fixtures, you simply have the power going directly to the fixtures.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 07:39 AM
    If switches worked fine before changing fixtures, then you may have connected new fixtures to a constant live wire, instead of the switched wire. Any other wires in light fixture box?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Why did you replace the fixtures? Was there a problem you were trying to solve or just to improve the look?

To assist you further, I would need to know if you are using two switches to control both fixtures or 1 switch powering both fixtures.

It is entirely possible that you used a "White" from the switch loop to power the light all of the time.

Would you please describe the ceiling wiring and the switch loop as well as the connection to the second light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a ceiling fan with a standard 2 bulb light fixture [ 3 Answers ]

After removing the ceiling fan there were two cables of wire coming into the junction box in the ceiling. One cable (I think from the wall switch) has a red, black, white, and bare copper ground wire. The other cable in the junction box has a black, white, and bare copper ground wire. When I...

Moving and replacing electrical circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and currently have a 100 amp service running into my circuit breaker. Every now and then the fuses trip and I have to reset them. I am thinking that I will need to go to a 150 Amp service. Also the panel box is located in the kitchen on a wall that we are going to tear down due...

Replacing a pull chain light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to replace a 2 bulb, glass shade, bedroom type pull chain light in my basement room redo. There is a poor selection of pull on fixures out there! Can a 3 arm ceiling fan fixure be installed alone as a ceiling light that would pull on/off? Can I use a canopy kit to cover the...

Replacing shower fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace a shower handle because it won't pull out or push in anymore inorder to to turn the water on or off. I am hoping that I will not have to take out tile or punch out drywall on the other side of the wall. Am I dreaming that I can do this without making a bigger hole then is...

Replacing Ceiling Fixture Problem [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to replace two single light pendants with two double lighted ceiling fixtures. In the room there are three single pendant lights that are controlled with a single light switch. The problem we are having is that the new ceiling light fixtures have two sets of black/white/ground...

View more questions Search