Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Backplate for sconces (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=795352)

• Jun 27, 2014, 12:37 PM
    jwteachey
    Backplate for sconces
    I'd like to install new wall sconces on the walls in my bedroom, but the sconces I bought at the Re-store are missing the backplates. According to the website the size backplate that goes with these sconces is 13.75 x 6 1 / 8 x 1 inches

Where can I buy backplates to mount the new sconces?
  • Jun 27, 2014, 01:22 PM
    ma0641
    I just googled "Sconce backplates" and found a surprising number of them.
  • Jun 27, 2014, 01:24 PM
    jwteachey
    I'm not looking to buy a sconce, just the backplate by itself. Googling "sconce backplates" gave me lots of options for buying an entire fixture but not the backplate alone.
  • Jun 27, 2014, 01:26 PM
    ma0641
    Keep reading, there were a lot of just backplates. Might have to search for a match.
  • Jun 27, 2014, 01:38 PM
    jwteachey
    Thanks, but I literally scrolled through the first 20 pages of entries in Google. The closest I found was a "wall sconce CFL backplate" for $100, which is not what I'm looking for. These should cost under $10. Otherwise I might as well just buy new fixtures entirely. =/
  • Jun 27, 2014, 02:05 PM
    smoothy
    THe point ma0641 is making is there are thousands of different ones... all shapes, sizes materials, and finishes (as well as prices)... you are going to have to look through all of them until you find the ones you like.

THey aren't a one size fits all situation. This is what you get when you buy them missing the backplates... by the time you find and buy what's missing... it would have been cheaper and easier to buy a set with them in the first place.
  • Jun 27, 2014, 02:15 PM
    jwteachey
    Thanks. That's why I posted the question - where are these "thousands of different ones"? Googling "sconce backplates" (at least where I am - I know Google adjusts its results based on where you live, etc.) gives me nothing but fixtures, not backplates. I am happy to wade through the thousands of options but have not been able to locate them. This is why I asked for help. I appreciate your input, though! Next time I'll tell my friend (who gave me these sconces she originally bought at the Habitat for Humanity store) to shove it. ;-)
  • Jun 27, 2014, 03:24 PM
    shader
    Never heard of Google adjusting results on where you live... that runs counter to the whole web search idea. I did a Google and Bing search (from Chicago area) and got results from all over the country... grandbrass.com, highlandlighting.ocm, lamps.com are three that have back plates. Scroll down on the search page and you should see "images" of back plates. Click on the pic and should have a link to the vendor. Smoothy is correct, the hassle of searching for size, finish, mounting options, plus shipping and maybe taxes, some times not worth it.
  • Jun 27, 2014, 03:52 PM
    smoothy
    If you are expecting stores local to you... then you are expecting the wrong things... most are likely warehouses that sell on the internet or by mail... you won't get to see them in person...

I find and order things from all over the country and from overseas as well. It gives you far more options. I live in one of the larger metropolitan areas in the USA... THe Washington DC metro region... I don't even find many things I look for locally at any price.

THere is also places like ebay and amazon.com, there are more options now than there ever have been in history to find something specific. You just have to take the time to look theough all the options. Which can be a daunting task by the number of sheer options you have.

Of course... if you don't have a bank account.. or a credit card... then your options shrink considerably.