Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Hampton Bay 68" altura ceiling fan runs slow (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=224947)

• Jun 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
    bisibody
    Hampton Bay 68" altura ceiling fan runs slow
    I just purchased a hampton bay 68" altura ceiling fan Even on high speed it turns slowly.
    There is a difference between speeds 1 , 2 and 3 but not much. High would be like between 1 and 2 speeds and of 50 " fan.
  • Jun 9, 2008, 10:42 AM
    ballengerb1
    Is the speed controlled by pull chains or a remore or both?
  • Jun 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
    bisibody
    By remote only
  • Jun 9, 2008, 10:48 AM
    ballengerb1
    Press and hold the speed button for 10 seconds. Now try changing the speeds, any better?
  • Jun 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
    ceilingfanrepair
    It's a 68" fan, it's going to be slow. There may be nothing wrong with it.
  • Jul 17, 2008, 12:01 PM
    erikejohnson
    Bisibody,

Have you confirmed the cause of the slow speed with your fan? I have the same fan (installed a few days ago) and am considering taking it back because of the speed.

I have heard the air displacement with this fan is deceivingly high, although it appears to be running slowly. Also, I have run it without the blades and the motor runs very fast at High setting. Put the blades on and it runs very slow at High setting. I guess the sheer size of the blades is the issue..

Thanks for any information that may help me make a decision. I love the look of the fan, and am not jazzed about boxing it up and installing a different one.

Regards,
    Erik
  • Jul 17, 2008, 12:54 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    I need to get one of these for myself and see so I can post a defininite answer. Anyone want to give me one? :)
  • Jul 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
    erikejohnson
    $200 at Home Depot and it's yours :)
  • Jul 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    Pass :)
  • Jul 22, 2008, 09:10 AM
    samito624
    Hi, I also just bought this fan, and I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. You would think that a fan as large as this, and so beautifully crafted, would deliver a powerful punch of air. Hardly. It doesn't move even a body hair. The speeds are extremely slow, even at the highest setting. I'm very dissatisfied with it and consider taking it back. I've checked all the speeds, even in reverse, and am extremely disappointed. Any suggestions on how to improve the speed? Can another motor be installed? I don't know. Having to take it down, repack it and take it back is such a hassle. Please advise.:mad:
  • Jul 22, 2008, 09:16 AM
    ceilingfanrepair
    You could possibly install a larger value capacitor, that would make it run faster, but ultimately burn out the motor.

If you are unhappy with it, take it back.
  • Jul 24, 2008, 04:41 PM
    erikejohnson
    I have gotten used to this fan's speed. At first, I thought it wasn't moving air. But after researching on the web, it appears the air displacement by this "slow" fan is greater than other fans.
  • Jul 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    Who says that, Hampton Bay?

If you can't feel it, I'm reluctant to believe it.
  • Aug 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Jimppp221
    Hi, I have bought the same fan. This fan moves slower than my last smaller fan but moves much more air! If it is running forward and you cannot feel the breeze, then you should bring it back. If it is just you think the fan should be moving faster, but you are getting good air I think that is the way these big fans work.
  • Nov 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
    jim_salehi

I purchased the same fan, had same experience (thought it was broken, it was running so slowly), and called the service number listed in the documentation. They said the fan runs correctly at 25 rpm, 45-50rpm, and 70rpm. These are slow speeds but evidently it's intended. The number was 800-283-6513 for gpwarranty.com
  • Nov 18, 2008, 09:43 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

Those are VERY slow RPM ratings. I wonder what the CFMs are. I doubt it moves much air.
  • Nov 19, 2008, 07:03 AM
    jim_salehi
    CFM numbers: Low 2858, Medium 4663, High 8341.
    These numbers looked fairly high in comparison to a few other ceiling fans I saw at home depot.
    The fan has very large blades.
  • Nov 19, 2008, 01:36 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

Those are fairly decent compared to 52" residential fans. I guess there's no purpose to the fan being larger (68") other than that it can spin slower.

Where did you get those numbers?

BTW a quality commercial fan moves over 30,000 cfm, those are usually 56" in size.
  • Nov 19, 2008, 05:36 PM
    jim_salehi
    These numbers were printed in the manual.

One thing I like about the fan is it's very quiet on the high setting. And because it's not moving very fast, it doesn't scare my dog, who tends to be kind of suspicious of this type of thing.
  • Nov 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

I've heard of cats trying to "catch" the fan. Never seen a dog wary of one.