Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Lighting shorts (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=327865)

• Mar 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
    PACINODAVE
    Lighting shorts
    I had 8 flush lights installed about 9 months they use to work now, I switch,I get nothing.I put a meter on one of the sockets.and it read I was getting power to it.When I touched the socket and metal at the same time with needle nose pliers, it sparks, and all 8 lights go on, can someone please tell me what the problem may be.The man that installed them cannot figure it out .
    Thank very much,
    David Ziccardi
  • Mar 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
    ballengerb1

It appears that you have lost your neutral connection. However I can't figure why your installer has not figured this out and traced down the open circuit, is he an electrician? Is there anything else on this circuit along with the 8 lights? Cjheck your neutral back at the panel for a tight connection.
  • Mar 16, 2009, 07:11 AM
    PACINODAVE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    It appears that you have lost your neutral connection. However I can't figure why your installer has not figured this out and traced down the open circuit, is he an electrician?? Is there anything else on this circuit along with the 8 lights? Cjheck your neutral back at the panel for a tight connection.

Hi,
    No he was not an electrician,just a so called handyman.All my wires are tight,do you think I now must take down my sheet rocked ceiling to find the problem?
    Thanks,Dave
  • Mar 16, 2009, 07:12 AM
    PACINODAVE

Lost neutarl
  • Mar 16, 2009, 07:32 AM
    ballengerb1

The ceiling should be left alone at this point. You need to get a test meter and start tracking your power from the panel to the switch and then along the circuit. You apparently have a good hot wire but your white/neutral is no longer making a good connection somewhere. When you say " I touched the socket and metal " what metal are you talking about, the housing of the fixture or some mounting box?
  • Mar 16, 2009, 08:59 AM
    stanfortyman
    Definitely a lost neutral. Since it is all eight cans it is either in the first can or somewhere in the circuit before all the lights. So NO, you do not have to rip out sheetrock.

The guy who installed this should stick to fixing holes, painting and installing door knobs. If he installed them, and now can't figure out what he screwed up he should be ashamed!
    White-to-white and black-to-black is not all there is to know with electrical work.

ANY "handyman" who advertises "electrical" or even "light electrical" should be avoided like the plague.
  • Mar 17, 2009, 06:16 AM
    PACINODAVE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    The ceiling should be left alone at this point. You need to get a test meter and start tracking your power from the panel to the switch and then along the circuit. You apparently have a good hot wire but your white/neutral is no longer making a good connection somewhere. When you say " I touched the socket and metal " what metal are you talking about, the housing of the fixture or some mounting box??

Hi,The metal on the housing of the light itself.
    Thanks,Dave
  • Mar 17, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Stratmando

I agree it's the first light from the switch that lost a neutral, or back to the panel, it Won't be the last seven. And all neutrals are intact on all 8. If it is 6" cans, and Electrician will likely remove the 3 or 4 screws that hold the can in place, then pull down or push up into ceiling, then remove electrical cover and check neutral connection there.
    With power off.
  • Mar 25, 2009, 07:44 AM
    PACINODAVE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I agree it's the first light from the switch that lost a neutral, or back to the panel, it WONT be the last seven. And all neutrals are intact on all 8. If it is 6" cans, and Electrician will likely remove the 3 or 4 screws that hold the can in place, then pull down or push up into ceiling, then remove electrical cover and check neutral connection there.
    With power off.

Hi,
    I did everything you told me to do,and I cannot find the problem.
    I really appreciate your help.
    PACINODAVE
  • Mar 25, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Stratmando

The switch box would be a good place to check, wires can APPEAR intact and solid, but broke, usually from someone nicking the wire when it was originally stripped.