Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Two Induction Hot Plates vs One Double 15 Amp Breaker (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=821431)

• Feb 6, 2016, 07:52 AM
    NorPlan
    Two Induction Hot Plates vs One Double 15 Amp Breaker
    Had issues with this Breaker a few months back. Breaker was Replaced, all is good.. Curious with 2 separate Wall Recepticles 6' apart.. Two Induction Hot Plates , One plugged Separately into each Receptacle that draw from the same Breaker.. Each IHP draws 1800 watts when turned on Full / Highest Setting.. My Question wouldn't that Pop the Breaker? Of course we don't have the Units turned up more than 1000 watts, majority of the time we only use one Unit anyway... Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks...
  • Feb 6, 2016, 09:42 AM
    stanfortyman
    Well yes, both of these used on one 15A circuit will most likely trip quite often, but I think you know that already.
  • Feb 6, 2016, 09:51 AM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Well yes, both of these used on one 15A circuit will most likely trip quite often, but I think you know that already.

The Kitchen Counter is L-Shaped , the Wife had plugged the 2nd Induction Hot Plate into the Other Wall.. I had told her she could plug both Hot Plates along the same wall as long as they weren't turned up Full / Highest Setting.. And nothing else was plugged in / turned on... lol...
  • Feb 6, 2016, 10:59 AM
    hkstroud
    Please explain what you mean by
    "one double 15 amp breaker"

If by double breakers you mean a two breakers that fit into one slot, sometimes referred to as "2-in-1" or "slim line" or Piggy back" breakers those are two separate breakers. Sometimes the handles are tied together. They are often used when you have two circuits sharing a neutral. When running a shared neutral circuit, sometimes the receptacles are split with the top being served by one circuit and the bottom by the other circuit. Other times one circuit will serve some of the receptacles (both top and bottom) and the other circuit serving the remainder of the receptacles.

Unless the appliance has multiple heating elements, when it is ON, it is pulling the full amperage. "Full/Highest" sounds like a temperature setting.
  • Feb 6, 2016, 11:30 AM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post

Please explain what you mean by one double 15 amp breaker.

Unless the appliance has multiple heating elements, when it is ON, it is pulling the full amperage. "Full/Highest" sounds like a temperature setting.

2 Pole BQL 15 amp Breaker..

Yes , Temperature Setting.. The Hot Plate (By Salton) is Touch Screen.. The least being 60C' / 300 watts , the Most being 240C' / 1800 watt's.
  • Feb 6, 2016, 02:28 PM
    donf
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 48205 Is this the breaker you are referring to?

If so, you have two 120 volt /15 amp ports and one 240 volt/15 amp port.

Are these kitchen counter receptacles? Usually there are several counter receptacles connected in series.

Here in the U.S. the kitchen counter receptacles must have two 20 amp GFCI protected branch-circuits for use by counter receptacles. Is that also true for Canada?
  • Feb 6, 2016, 02:34 PM
    NorPlan
    @ donf... The Original Breaker was from Commander which is Non Existent , The cross Reference Replacement was Eaton Brand.. 2 X 15 amp Breakers ( 1/2 as wide) clip on bar tab holding them together
  • Feb 6, 2016, 03:02 PM
    donf
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 48206Okay, let's try this one, please.

This breaker can either be two 120 volt 15 amp circuits or one 240 volt 15 amp circuit.

If this ins not what you have, can you take a picture and using the advanced button attach it to this thread.
  • Feb 6, 2016, 03:06 PM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donf View Post

This breaker can either be two 120 volt 15 amp circuits or one 240 volt 15 amp circuit.

If this ins not what you have, can you take a picture and using the advanced button attach it to this thread.

Yep.. This is the One...
  • Feb 6, 2016, 07:12 PM
    stanfortyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donf View Post

Don, not sure what you are looking for with this line of questioning, or what it has to do wit the original post. It is very typical in Canada to have kitchen counter receptacles split-wired on 15A circuits.
  • Feb 6, 2016, 08:26 PM
    donf
    Stan,

I was looking for two things.

1) Permissible to have counter receptacles @15 amp instead of 20 amp in Canada.
    2) Permissible to have split receptacles in Canada.
  • Feb 6, 2016, 11:21 PM
    Missouri Bound
    OK... "un" confuse me. When you say both are plugged in using the same breaker... are you saying both are on one side of the breaker (same circuit) or one outlet is on one side of the breaker and one is on the other? This is a MWBC which will trip both sides of the breaker should one leg overload. If you need confirmation of this, shut off the breaker and pull the recpt. covers and see if both are wired to the same "side" of the breaker. Do you know the size of the wire?
  • Feb 7, 2016, 05:25 AM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    OK... "un" confuse me. When you say both are plugged in using the same breaker... are you saying both are on one side of the breaker (same circuit) or one outlet is on one side of the breaker and one is on the other? This is a MWBC which will trip both sides of the breaker should one leg overload. If you need confirmation of this, shut off the breaker and pull the recpt. covers and see if both are wired to the same "side" of the breaker. Do you know the size of the wire?

Sorry for my Original Post becoming Confusing? Was trying to explain to the Mrs. If she had to use the 2nd Induction Hot Plate, she didn't have to plug in on the opposite wall.. There is 2 separate wall receptacles along one wall, one Induction H/P per Receptacle would be fine as long as she didn't crank the dial to it's highest setting (each H/P puts out 465'F / 1800W when turned up full).. 99.9% of the time we never have the Dial more than (300'F / 1000W).. The Wall Recepticles are Connected to a (2 Pole BQL 15 amp Breaker).. Hope this makes Sense?

btw..... Was just Questioning My Theory since I was attempting to explain myself to Managment...lol...