Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Puppy pooping in crate (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=357006)

• May 23, 2009, 07:38 AM
    tc53ike
    Puppy pooping in crate
    My son just gave me a Boston Terrier, he is 11-12 weeks old.
    He will urinate and deficate outside but I am having trouble with him deficating and urinating in his crate. He'll poop and then lay on it. I've only had him 1 day. I am using the treat after going outside. I take him out first thing in the AM and 20-30 minutes after he eats and before going to bed or before we go out somewhere that dogs aren't allowed.
    Last night I had him outside before bed for about 1/2 hour and he did nothing. This morning there was poop in the crate.
    Thanks for your help
    tc53ike
  • May 23, 2009, 07:43 AM
    shazamataz

Sounds like you are doing all the right things with taking him morning and night.

You could try sectioning his crate into 2 parts... newspaper at the front, snuggly blanket at the back.
    Dogs will not usually go on their bedding unless they have no choice so he will naturally want to be clean and go on the paper.

He is only very young as well so being able to hold his potty all night is going to be hard for him until he is older.
    It will get better with time, just keep praising him when he goes outside and try giving him some space to go to the toilet at night.

Make sure you give him some toys at night too so he feels less lonely and has something to do if he waskes up early :)
  • May 23, 2009, 08:00 AM
    CMALori

My dog was first like then when I got her. They just need to get used to there surrondings. Stick with the treat thing if she goes to the bathroom. Take her out a half hour after she eats and stay out there until she poops.. It may take her a few days to get adjusted.
  • May 24, 2009, 02:06 AM
    kdenison07

All of the advice given is exactly what worked for me with Guinness... add lots of love and patience.

Question to you though... where did your son get him and what were the conditions like there? My year old Great Dane was rescued from a backyard breeder in horrendous conditions where he was hardly ever out of his crate. He was so used to using the bathroom in it at the (I can't even make myself say the word breeder referring to this man) that when we got him it took a lot of extra time, patience and hard work to get him potty trained.

Now I'm not saying that your son necessarily got him from bad conditions but looking into where the puppy spent his first 3 months can really give you a clue as to why he does some things and has certain habits already formed.
  • May 24, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Catsmine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CMALori View Post
    stay out there until she poops.

That's the key. You may have to let her be by herself outside, sometimes puppies want to be with their people so much they pay no attention to biology, then when they get back in the crate "Oh, yeah, oops." Keep an eye on her, but let her go by herself, if you can.
  • May 24, 2009, 08:06 AM
    shazamataz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    That's the key. You may have to let her be by herself outside, sometimes puppies want to be with their people so much they pay no attention to biology, then when they get back in the crate "Oh, yeah, oops." Keep an eye on her, but let her go by herself, if you can.

That is the perfect scenario but a puppy won't poop on command and I know I don't want to be waiting an hour for them to do their 'business'.
  • May 24, 2009, 05:15 PM
    shazamataz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    That is the perfect scenario but a puppy won't poop on command and I know I don't want to be waiting an hour for them to do their 'business'.

The poodle will be coming back very soon :)

I actually got this avi as a punishment for posting on Yahoo Answers :p Alty and NM ganged up on me for being a forum whore lol
  • May 24, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Catsmine
    HA HA

You shouldna oughtna swung on that one
  • May 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
    shazamataz

Lol, it is an evil place... the people there are just so darn stupid...
    Giving me all these disagrees for thing I know is right... fact!
    At least on this site pople are (usually) fair with the greenies and reddies...
  • May 24, 2009, 06:53 PM
    conanater
    You want the dog to feel like the crate is their home so that they won't go in it. Make sure they feel secure and that it is comfortable. They won't go in a place they sleep in. Also like someone else said they may not be able to hold it all night so you might want to let them out in the night some time so they don't have to hold it.