Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   My 8 year old dog has started to pee in front of me in the house (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=71810)

• Mar 13, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Superschue
    My 8 year old dog has started to pee in front of me in the house
    I have a basset hound, blood hound mix that is eight years old. We have had him for three years and he just started to get in front of me when it is obvious that I am going to take him outside and he starts to pee in the house. Always near me, and always at times when I normally take him outside. We feed him on a regular schedule and take him outside on a regular schedule. What happened to my "attention" hound.
  • Mar 13, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Parajr
    This could be a medical problem, or thsgog could simply not want to go outside. Maybe he is telling you that he wants to be an outside dog.
  • Mar 13, 2007, 08:09 PM
    labman
    A vet check is the best place to start with most behavior problems. This really sounds like a status challenge, but 8 years is a little on the old side for that. He is neutered? The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
  • Mar 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
    grammadidi
    A change in your dog's urinating habits could indicate a physical problem, especially at 8 years of age. Have you noticed any other symptoms? Is he drinking more than usual? Is he shedding excessively or itching a lot? Has he recently been de-flea'd? Does he have an unusual odour or bad breath? Is there any change in his eating habits? All of these things could be significant clues.

Medical conditions that might be indicated are: diabetes, kidney disease, bladder infection, kidney stones (or crystals) and hypothyroidism so I think the best thing to do would be to make a trip to the vet and have a physical exam and some blood work done. If you can, take in a urine sample as well. This can be obtained by taking a bowl with you and catching it.

Other thoughts... is he neutered? If not, get him neutered! Has there been any changes in the home recently? This could be someone new in the home, a new pet, someone going to work or not going to work, a recent vacation or has he been left alone more or less than usual? If so, then it probably is behavioural, but a trip to the vet is still in order!

Didi
  • Mar 14, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Superschue
    He was neutered before we got him. There doesn't seem to be any other changes. It doesn't seem like an excitement issue because he doesn't seem excited. I agree totally with asserting myself as the top dog, and I feel strongly that he isn't challenging this because I follow the principles of that philosophy. The vet didn't find any problems either.
  • Mar 14, 2007, 12:40 PM
    grammadidi
    Well, that's great that the vet didn't find any problems! The asserting yourself as top dog over him is the easiest thing to deal with!

Good luck!

Didi
  • Mar 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
    valinors_sorrow
    It sure sounds like he is getting his signals crossed. Once a urine spot is established, it becomes that much easier out of scent and habit the next time so a thorough cleaning is advised. Could you maybe vary the routine a bit. Go out a different door? Trick him into getting outside sooner? Or letting someone else do exactly as you do so you can determine how connected it is to you specifically? Experiment and you might find some clues.
  • Mar 14, 2007, 03:37 PM
    labman
    I don't think you are going to solve this without some more digging. Perhaps get a second vet's opinion. Rack your brains for any possible change in the household. If you have a new, stressful situation in your life, he may be picking up stress from you, and urinating in front of you to please you.