Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=497545)

• Aug 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Marcia123
    Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now
    We currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. We also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. Since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. When our other dog was alive they went outside together and this dog just followed and learned from the other, but since gone it's like he does not know what to do anymore. I have tried to go outside with him, play with him, run with him and he just stands there looking at me. It is really frustrating and I'm not sure what to do anymore.
  • Aug 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Aurora_Bell

It's common for dogs to feel a depression after losing a play mate and friend.

Sudden changes in your home can revert your dog back to an unwanted behavior. You may have to start from basics again, as soon as your pup eats or drinks, take him out right away And wait for him to do his business. Reward with lots of praise, you could even offer a small treat at the beginning.

Are you crating while you are away? Does he mess in the house only while you are away, or while you are at home as well?
  • Aug 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcia123 View Post
    we currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. we also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. when our other dog was alive they went outside together and this dog just followed and learned from the other, but since gone it's like he does not know what to do anymore. I have tried to go outside with him, play with him, run with him and he just stands there looking at me. It is really frustrating and I'm not sure what to do anymore.

How long ago did you lose your dog? I've always had 2 or 3 dogs and when one died sometimes the survivor suffered for a very long time. A lot depends on who the leader was - and it appears it was the older dog, although that is not always the case.

He's mourning and grieving and he doesn't understand.

I'd keep his life as normal as possible - and I realize you are grieving, too - and not make a big deal out of his "mistakes" in the house. I'd clean them up and go on about my business. I know it's frustrating and upsetting but he is just having a very difficult time of things. At some point he will accept that his friend is gone. Hopefully at some point he will revert back to his normal personality - but it could take a while.

Have you thought about getting a second dog? It sounds like you have more than enough love to go around and you could save a dog that otherwise wouldn't have a chance.

I've lost dogs slowly and I've lost dogs quickly and there is no good way/bad way. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how badly it hurts.
  • Aug 14, 2010, 09:35 PM
    Marcia123

Thanks, so much for your information, he used to be crated all the time when we were out, but he never had to after that puppy stage left. He still loves his crate and will quite frequently go into it just to sleep. Our dog died just over a month ago. The dog that died was definitely the leader, she was the older wise one... lol We have been keeping his life as normal as possible and even taking him for more care rides with us and just praising him more when he does something good. He is even pooping and peeing in the house when I'm home. Our kids really want another dog right away, but it's just too soon. The dog that just passed was more my husbands dog and he has taken this very hard and he is definitely not ready for another dog just yet, we initially rescued her from the humane society when she was only a pup. When we do ever get another dog, we will consider that route again. I guess we will probably have no choice but to retrain him. Thank you so much for your help :)
  • Aug 15, 2010, 07:17 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcia123 View Post
    Thanks, so much for your information, he used to be crated all the time when we were out, but he never had to after that puppy stage left. He still loves his crate and will quite frequently go into it just to sleep. Our dog died just over a month ago. The dog that died was definately the leader, she was the older wise one.... lol We have been keeping his life as normal as possible and even taking him for more care rides with us and just praising him more when he does something good. He is even pooping and peeing in the house when i'm home. Our kids really want another dog right away, but it's just too soon. The dog that just passed was more my husbands dog and he has taken this very hard and he is definately not ready for another dog just yet, we initially rescued her from the humane society when she was only a pup. When we do ever get another dog, we will consider that route again. I guess we will probably have no choice but to retrain him. Thank you so much for your help :)

Please stay in touch and let us know how it's working out - your poor family, including the dog.

I learned a long time ago that if you are a dog lover and one dies, another suddenly and unexpectedly pops into your life.
  • Nov 17, 2010, 09:16 PM
    bolugo
    My dog is doing the same thing now :( We lost our dog just the past Saturday and he has been peeing and pooping in the house. Did you figure anything out?
  • Nov 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
    Aurora_Bell

Bolugo, start your own thread, and we can help you better :) :)