Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Finally, getting down to the real crisis in America (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=771191)

• Oct 14, 2013, 07:15 AM
    speechlesstx
    Finally, getting down to the real crisis in America
    In case you've missed it, there's a real crisis in America besides the shutdown theater... the name of the Washington DC NFL team.

The emperor felt compelled to offer his two cents recently, and Bob Costas interrupted our halftime highlights to weigh in...

Quote:

With Washington playing Dallas here tonight, it seems like an appropriate time to acknowledge the ongoing controversy about the name, “Redskins.” Let’s start here: there’s no reason to believe that owner Daniel Snyder, or any official or player from his team, harbors animus towards Native Americans, or chooses to disrespect them. This is undoubtedly also true of the vast majority of those who don’t think twice about the longstanding moniker. And in fact, as best could be determined, even a majority of Native Americans say they are not offended.

But, having stipulated that, there’s still a distinction to be made. Objections to names like Braves, Chiefs, Warriors and the like, strike many of us as political correctness run amuck. These nicknames honor, rather than demean. They’re pretty much the same as Vikings, Patriots, or even Cowboys. And names like Blackhawks, Seminoles and Chippewas, while potentially problematic, can still be okay provided the symbols are appropriately respectful. Which is where the Cleveland Indians, with the combination of their name and Chief Wahoo logo, have sometimes run into trouble.

A number of teams, mostly in the college ranks, have changed their names in response to objections. The Stanford Cardinal and the Dartmouth Big Green were each once the Indians. The St. Johns Redmen are now the Red Storm. And the Miami of Ohio Redskins, that’s right Redskins, are now the RedHawks. Still, the NFL franchise that represents the nation’s capital, has maintained its name.

But think for a moment about the term “Redskins,” and how it truly differs from all the others. Ask yourself what the equivalent would be if directed towards African Americans, Hispanics, Asians or any other ethnic group. When considered that way, “Redskins” can’t possibly honor a heritage or noble character trait, nor can it possibly be considered a neutral term. It’s an insult, a slur, no matter how benign the present day intent.

It’s fair to say that for a long time now, and certainly in 2013, no offense has been intended. But if you take a step back, isn’t it clear to see how offense might legitimately be taken?
    Well, that was certainly helpful. Shut up Bob.

NBC also has a dedicated discussion site on the topic, and Redskins owner Dan Snyder has already said he will never change the name, which apparently only offends a few.

It's time to end this crisis and save America. Should Snyder cave to the tyranny of the PC minority and if so, how about helping him out with a new name for the team?

One suggestion I've seen, the Washington Barrycaders.
  • Oct 14, 2013, 07:28 AM
    excon
    Hello Steve:
    Quote:

Should Snyder cave to the tyranny of the PC minority
    Yes. Or, he could do it because it's the RIGHT thing to do.

Excon
  • Oct 14, 2013, 07:39 AM
    tomder55
    How about naming them The 'Washington Leviathan ' ? There are plenty of cool images available to use as a template for the helmet design .
  • Oct 14, 2013, 07:51 AM
    speechlesstx
    Did you know that on the first Redskins team that 4 players and the head coach were Native Americans? Or that their emblem was designed in consultation with the Red Cloud Athletic Fund at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation? Or that most of us, including Democrats, don't think it's offensive? Or that if the PC crowd really wanted to make a difference they would focus on real issues within the Native American community, not the name of a football team?

Personally, I'm much more offended that Dems would run a fake Indian for Senate and crown her the next second coming. I don't think your side has any room to talk here.
  • Oct 14, 2013, 07:55 AM
    speechlesstx
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    how about naming them The 'Washington Leviathan ' ? There are plenty of cool images available to use as a template for the helmet design .

I like it. Or it could be much simpler...
  • Oct 14, 2013, 06:17 PM
    cdad
    I think I will let the man speak for himself on this one...

Letter from Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to fans - Washington Post
  • Oct 15, 2013, 03:39 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I like it. Or it could be much simpler...

Yeah we heard similar type of stuff when the Giants moved into NJ. Of course had the business climate been better in DC ,the team would likely have stayed there .
  • Oct 15, 2013, 04:59 AM
    paraclete
    I knew you guys are out to lunch or is it out to the ball game
  • Oct 15, 2013, 05:10 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Yeah we heard similar type of stuff when the Giants moved into NJ. Of course had the business climate been better in DC ,the team would likely have stayed there .

No need to move, just fix the negative association in the name. :)
  • Oct 15, 2013, 05:36 AM
    excon
    Hello backwards people:

There were a LOT of things that we did WRONG, in this country, and we changed 'em. THAT'S what makes this country the greatest on earth. But, those changes didn't happen easily.. People held onto the past, because they were afraid. But, once we changed, people found out their fears were unfounded.

Let me ask you Texas fellows something.. Didn't Perry belong to a club named nigger head ranch, or something? Is THAT a cool name? Should it be changed? Or, is it NONE of your business?

excon
  • Oct 15, 2013, 06:15 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello backwards people:

There were a LOT of things that we did WRONG, in this country, and we changed 'em. THAT'S what makes this country the greatest on earth. But, those changes didn't happen easily.. People held onto the past, because they were afraid. But, once we changed, people found out their fears were unfounded.

Let me ask you Texas fellows something.. Didn't Perry belong to a club named nigger head ranch, or something? Is THAT a cool name? Should it be changed? Or, is it NONE of your business?

excon

First, the name was painted on the rock when Perry took the lease, he didn't put it there and said he and his father painted over it so that's a manufactured issue. But you keep talking about doing the right thing. What is the right thing?

Is it really the right thing to force a team whose had the name for decades to change it because a few people are offended? They don't own the team, mind your own business. Whatever happened to live and live and do your own thing? Funny how the generation that lived those mottos has spawned the a "my way or the highway" mentality and quite frankly, that offends me.
  • Oct 15, 2013, 06:25 AM
    excon
    Hello again, Steve:
    Quote:

What is the right thing?

Is it really the right thing to force a team whose had the name for decades to change it because a few people are offended?
    I'm glad you asked. Clearly, you don't KNOW.

Was it right for a nation to CHANGE the way southern plantations were run for DECADES because a few people were offended?

You're God damned RIGHT it was!

Is it the right thing to force a team whose had a racist name for decades to change it because a few people are offended?

You're God damned RIGHT it is!

Any questions?

excon
  • Oct 15, 2013, 06:34 AM
    speechlesstx
    When you manufacture the war - as you do with the war on women - no, there's nothing right about it.
  • Oct 15, 2013, 06:48 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Funny how the generation that lived those mottos has spawned the a "my way or the highway" mentality and quite frankly, that offends me.
    Join the party, right wing hollering has been offensive for years. You have been assimilating people for decades, and now don't want to be assimilated as your numbers shrink, and popularity, power, and influence wane.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective. You can no longer ignore change, just make it loud and messy. Keep following Ted and his racist constituents that were on display for all to see Friday at the right wing rally.

Now that was truly offensive.

Million Vet March Organizers Condemn Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, and the Tea Party
  • Oct 15, 2013, 06:57 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective
    That could be the Democrat motto.
  • Oct 15, 2013, 06:58 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Join the party, right wing hollering has been offensive for years. You have been assimilating people for decades, and now don't want to be assimilated as your numbers shrink, and popularity, power, and influence wane.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective. You can no longer ignore change, just make it loud and messy. Keep following Ted and his racist constituents that were on display for all to see Friday at the right wing rally.

Now that was truly offensive.

Million Vet March Organizers Condemn Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, and the Tea Party

Obviously all that BS about tolerance and diversity from the left was clearly a lie, you want no individuality at all.
  • Oct 15, 2013, 07:25 AM
    speechlesstx
    The Democrat solution to the crisis, just outlaw it.

Democrats want to outlaw ‘Washington Redskins’ name
  • Oct 15, 2013, 07:49 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Obviously all that BS about tolerance and diversity from the left was clearly a lie, you want no individuality at all.

Racism is not to be tolerated and that's where all that hate speech comes from. Its my right to call it out, just as they have a right to spew it.
  • Oct 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
    NeedKarma
    Outlaw it? No. It should be done voluntarily, it means more then.
  • Oct 15, 2013, 08:13 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Racism is not to be tolerated and that's where all that hate speech comes from. Its my right to call it out, just as they have a right to spew it.

There's nothing racist about it and I feel no need to humor hypocrite Democrats who don't call their own racists out.