Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   The race card (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=780484)

• Jan 4, 2014, 07:30 PM
    paraclete
    The race card
    a Chinese american thinks that some races are better than others and uses the american experience as justification for these opinions. She thinks asians are a superior race or races and she bases these assumptions on parenting methods. It is difficult to argue against the argument that nurture makes the difference, excepting of course, that the argument has been couched in racial terms. Now we all remember that there was a race who had such ideas and the end result was they were proven wrong, their supposed superiority led them on the wrong path

Tiger Mum: Some races are just better than others | News.com.au

So let's ignite the argument, how does your race fair in the racial stakes. I personally think opportunity is what makes the difference. a person without education has little opportunity to shine
  • Jan 4, 2014, 07:40 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Let me see Chinese parenting skills.?

At 3 years of age, the child is placed in a kindergarten from about 7 am to 6 pm every evening. Then the child will go to elementary school where there are about 60 children to a classroom with one teacher. The classrooms are small and crowded. They are in school from about 630 or 7 am till 630 to 8 pm every day. 6 days a week.

At middle school about 1/2 the children live on campus, and will go to school till about 9pm every night.

The ones that do go home, have so much home work, they are doing school work every night till 10 or 11.

High school, if they pass the test to go, ( they have a required test to go to high school) is just a repeat of the same for middle school.

Of course often dad works out of town and is seldom home.

Chinese parents do not raise their children, the school system does. In talking to my college students, few really know their parents, about 1/3 were raised by grandparents since mother and father worked,

Chinese children are raised by "society" and government rules in school.
    If that is the best parenting model,? Well I guess that is what America is trying to do also.
  • Jan 5, 2014, 12:38 AM
    paraclete
    So schooling is a way of life and in such a system you do well to survive, Chuck I doubt this is what your system seeks to achieve. However there is no nurture in the chinese system, but you speak of the chinese system in communist China, not the chinese system in capitalist america as does the article cited. As I said earlier what we have here is a racist view, a justification for why certain students do well. In the society in which I live students from a asian background do well too, and I suspect that has more to do with a migrant background than it does with ethnicity, since I'm no slouch and my ancestors were Irish. I also note that students from an indigenous background don't do well and that is definately down to nurtute
  • Jan 5, 2014, 02:14 AM
    Catsmine
    You might be onto something with the "migrant background," Clete, inasmuch as the migrant has already shown more initiative than natives in migrating. Even refugees took that initiative, if out of desperation rather than ambition. That sort of initiative will show up in a work ethic and will be absorbed at least somewhat by the children of those migrants.

I seriously doubt race has anything to do with it.
  • Jan 5, 2014, 02:31 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    The Chinese here in China, believe they are the best parents, we hear it all the time, they tell us, that chinese parents love their children more.

Now with that, everything in their life is geared at passing certain tests. They must pass a test to get into high school, they must past a test to get into college. For the right jobs, they must have stacks of certificates to prove they passed classes.

So parents must pay money for these tests or for extra training, so the work and save. For example, they may earn 2000 RMB a month and will save to they can buy their child a 7000 RMB computer.

They view how many tutors and how many training classes the child takes as how well they are loved.
  • Jan 5, 2014, 03:34 AM
    tomder55
    The Chinese lack creativity (except perhaps the risk takers who emigrate ).Our innovators are the rebels who ignore the education system and all the preconceived assumptions that go with it.Amy Chua's children will be excellent cogs in the machine.
  • Jan 5, 2014, 04:08 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Yes, the standard method, and is accepted in high school and many Chinese university, is if you write a paper, you find one on internet and just copy it. They could not understand, failing in our classes if they did that.
    But my first question, to them is "what is your dream" yep, to be a good student, to get a college degree and enter society as a productive member" that is about 99 percent of them.

We work hard trying to teach them anything is possible. To give them the ability to think.
  • Jan 5, 2014, 04:17 AM
    paraclete
    opportunism will not serve them well, it will produce a race of clones. Facts are only important if you can employ them, don't they understand that you gain wisdom through the application of knowledge
  • Jan 5, 2014, 08:23 AM
    speechlesstx
    Mormons are a race?
  • Jan 5, 2014, 01:57 PM
    paraclete
    yes I found that interesting, obviously their isolation in Utah produced something in the Chinese mindset. Again mormons prove the nurture argument
  • Jan 5, 2014, 04:40 PM
    speechlesstx
    I believe the premise was about cultures, not races.
  • Jan 5, 2014, 05:11 PM
    paraclete
    Well you may be right although that wasn't as clear
  • Jan 6, 2014, 08:07 AM
    speechlesstx
    Not by the headline, but this was clear:

Quote:

In a new book, The Triple Package, Chua and her husband, co-author Jed Rubenfeld, argue that some "cultural" groups of people are superior to everyone else.
    Either way, she sounds like a wacko.
  • Jan 6, 2014, 02:29 PM
    paraclete
    We could take her argument and argue that Christian culture is superior to Muslim culture but we both know we would be speaking about caucasian and arab peoples. We could use the same argument when speaking about Judaism and Islam but we both know we would be speaking about the differences between two semetic peoples. Chua clearly thinks the jewish race is superior without mentioning the arab. these are the same sort or arguments Hitler used and we should be cautious about any person who puts forth these opinions
  • Jan 6, 2014, 02:46 PM
    speechlesstx
    Okie dokie, you stay on top of it. I personally intend to ignore the wacko lady.
  • Jan 6, 2014, 03:10 PM
    talaniman
    I tend to agree with Speech on this one since there is but one race of human on the earth, and fools who claim superiority are stupid, and should be ignored as long as they don't cross the lines of good behavior that is discrimination based on race. Or any other man made difference.
  • Jan 6, 2014, 05:25 PM
    paraclete
    yes, but you see we have learned the lesson of not ignoring dangerous people or at least some of us have. Islamic fundamentalists and extremists were ignored until their actions demanded action, Hitler was ignored until his actions demanded action, I put Chua in the same category
  • Jan 20, 2014, 07:32 AM
    speechlesstx
    Obama thinks his drop in the polls just might be because he's black.

Quote:

Obama’s election was one of the great markers in the black freedom struggle. In the electoral realm, ironically, the country may be more racially divided than it has been in a generation. Obama lost among white voters in 2012 by a margin greater than any victor in American history. The popular opposition to the Administration comes largely from older whites who feel threatened, underemployed, overlooked, and disdained in a globalized economy and in an increasingly diverse country. Obama’s drop in the polls in 2013 was especially grave among white voters. “There’s no doubt that there’s some folks who just really dislike me because they don’t like the idea of a black President,” Obama said. “Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because I’m a black President.” The latter group has been less in evidence of late.
    That just might be true, but then they didn't support him to begin with so I don't follow how that adds to a drop in his approval ratings. Regardless, it's rather pathetic for the President of the United States to play the race card. You lied to us, big time. You look increasingly incompetent, we're certainly not happy about your healthcare overhaul, the economy barely drags along still and your foreign policy is incoherent. What's not to love?
  • Jan 20, 2014, 11:23 AM
    tomder55
    wouldn't that factor already been accounted for ? Did the number of people who dislike him because of his race increase recently ? If his poll numbers were to go up would that mean fewer dislike hime over race ?
  • Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 AM
    speechlesstx
    Apparently a bunch of folks that previously supported him just realized they don't like him because he's black, not because he lied to them and screwed up their insurance.