Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Corporate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Moonlighting at work (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=86342)

• Apr 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
    tholmes
    Moonlighting at work
    I have a job that is pretty flexible and I make decent money. I recently was offered another job that is also flexible and better money. I am straddling the fence for many reasons and don't to make the wrong decision. I could probably juggle the two for a month and that would give me time to decide. I sort of feel some loyalty to my current boss but could really use the extra money for seriously needed things... medical. Is it legal for me to do this?
  • Apr 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
    excon
    Hello th:

Sure it's legal to work two jobs, but I don't think that's what you're proposing.

It is NOT, however, legal to accept a paycheck from either of them and not do the work. THAT is what I think you're proposing. You "need" things, so you're willing to screw somebody to get them. I understand that kind of behavior.

excon
  • Apr 25, 2007, 07:39 PM
    tholmes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon
    Hello th:

Sure it's legal to work two jobs, but I don't think that's what you're proposing.

It is NOT, however, legal to accept a paycheck from either of them and not do the work. THAT is what I think you're proposing. You "need" things, so you're willing to screw somebody to get them. I understand that kind of behavior.

excon

Well, I wouldn't say I want to screw anyone really. I said I feel loyalty to my boss so I do have a conscious. I would do the work required at both jobs, I could pull it off. If I want to screw to get things I would just get a sugar daddy
  • Apr 25, 2007, 07:46 PM
    excon
    Hello again, th:

If you're going to fulfill your obligations, why do you even need to check with your conscience?

excon

PS> Please forgive my vernacular. I didn't mean screw in a sexual sense.
  • Apr 25, 2007, 08:08 PM
    tholmes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, th:

If you're going to fulfill your obligations, why do you even need to check with your conscience?

excon

PS> Please forgive my vernacular. I didn’t mean screw in a sexual sense.

I know you didn't mean screw in that way but I did. As for my conscience, I would be lying to my boss about the other job because it would hold the same hrs... and I don't think that part is legal. Like if I was bartending at night I don't think he could say anything but if it is a job that would actually cut into my hrs at work then he might freak. Anyway, I really only wanted to be superwoman for a month but I don't want to lose both jobs if I get caught. But I probably won't do it now anyway because my boss just called me and told me what a great job I am doing and how he loves me to death... talk about guilt!
  • Apr 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    If you tell both people you are working for them, at the same time, during the same hours, then you are lying to one or both.