Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbus1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
    What should I use to shim 1/2 inch bathroom 2x4 studs
    Cast iron tub has 1/2 gap all around it. Need to shim studs, so backer board will above the low lip of the cast iron tub.
    meathammer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
    I would just rip (to cup long ways) a 1/2 shim out of 2x4 and nail it to the existing stud. That way the shim is equal to the thickness of the stud.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
    U can use anything that is 1/2'' thick by width of 2x4. Plywood works well and is less work then ripping a 2x4.

Chuck
    tommybwiz Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
    If you don't want to do all that ripping, or don't have access to a table saw, 1/2x 1 1/2 lattice or lathing boards should be available at your local lumber yard.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
    As Creahands says, plywood is a good choice. We often cover the entire bathroom with plywood - it means you can hang the towel rods/ mirros/ TP holder/ soap dish etc anywhere because you have backing around the entire wall.
    tommybwiz Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
    That is true, plywood is a good choice if you can afford it to cover all walls. However, I don't think that's what Creahands meant."U can use anything that is 1/2'' thick by width of 2x4. Plywood works well and is less work then ripping a 2x4." was his quote.I took that as meaning to rip it 1 1/2 " wide. Maybe I missed something?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
    Ur right tommybwiz that is what I meant. Rip 1/2'' plywood to width of 2x4. Is the least expensive way to go and u don't have to worry about splitting wood.

Chuck
    JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 3, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Cover an entire bathroom with ply is silly. Why waste your money like that? A smart builder/renovater will just put 2x10 or 2x12 backer in any possible locations for toilet paper rolls, towl bars , etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is minimum thickness for drywall on 24 inch spaced wall studs? [ 12 Answers ]

New home construction. Oakville Ontario. Architect suggests 5/8" drywall on stud spacing of 24" centers for the interior wall. Can I use 1/2"? Same question applies for ceiling drywall Trusses at 24" c-c. Can I use 1/2" gyprock? I understood that with the stronger drywall sheets now...

Does it matter 2x3 or 2x4 studs [ 5 Answers ]

Am framing my basement with metal studs. There are no laod bearing considerations. Is there a problem if I use 2 x 3 metal studs instead of 2x4.

Venting bathroom 1910 house diagonal studs [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1910 house and am converting a pantry to a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink only). The walls are 12 feet tall and are sitting on 8" X 8" timbers as foundation. Some walls have diagonal studs along with the vertical and make it's impossible for me to direct a 2" pipe through them, up to the...

My shower stall has a three inch busted place on the strip that secures it to the 2x4 [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a home built and my foreman said that it is common to have the strip that you use to secure the shower stall to the wall break off and that there are no future consequences. It is screwed in and flush, there is just a three inch piece busted off. It worries me that water could get under...

Metal studs vs. Wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?

View more questions Search