Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GeorgeM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Does it matter 2x3 or 2x4 studs
    Am framing my basement with metal studs.
    There are no laod bearing considerations.
    Is there a problem if I use 2 x 3 metal studs instead of 2x4.
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jan 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
    If it isn't structural, I don't think it matters. In my area basements are framed with 2x3 wood studs all the time, as long as they aren't load bearing. But if it is perimiter walls, you might want to consider the matter more importantly if you are insulating. I've found it harder to find 2x3 insulation at places like Home Depot. But maybe my luck isn't good...
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
    GeorgeM - Unless you want to buy special doors & windows . You need to go with reg. size 2x4s Good LUCK ::::: F.B.E.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 15, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Metal studs that I've used are standard size and with 1/2 sheetrock it will make a 4 and 1/2 jamb which is standard
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
    I would not worry too much about the insulation since your framing will not be tight with the wall. Basement foundation walls get a bit wavy so I set my floor plate 1" away from the wall and then raise my wall sections in place. I would advise installing a 6mil visqueen vapor barrier directly to the wall and then use unfaced insulation or rigid foam panels. I also use paperless drywall. Mildew grows on drywall paper, not the gypsum.
    PCL1111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 05:34 PM
    My sister bought an 18 by 24 foot townhouse with a basement finished in 2X4s, what a waste of space. I'd be inclined to use only the framing needed to clear pipes and wiring. On flat, plumb walls, you can even glue&screw foam insulation to the concrete, then glue mold-resistant drywall to that. If you absolutely need 4" of insulation, you can also put 2X3s an inch away from the concrete; 2X4s would just conduct more heat and short-circuit the insulation anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal or wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Which is better in building a house wood or metal studs in the basement?

Metal studs vs. Wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?

Framing with metal studs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to build a wall with 2 door openings using metal studs. How do you frame for the door openings? Is it necessary to use wood in the opening? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

Placing insulation using metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to attach insulation to the metal studs? There is got to be something better than tape, maybe a wire? Please help-=

View more questions Search