Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Construction (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Kitchen Floor (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=171581)

• Jan 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Sailorman
    Kitchen Floor
    Renovating a kitchen at the moment. My question is, should I put the new floor in before or after the new cabinets arrive.
    I know I would save by installing the floor around the cabinets, but it might be easier to install now, pay more in sq. footage but avoid extra cuts and corners.

What is the norm?

Thanks,
  • Jan 12, 2008, 09:03 AM
    EIFS EXPERT
    I would lay out the floor first.
  • Jan 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
    rtw_travel
    What kind of floor? For hardwood, typically we install the floor and put on two coats first. Finish coat is after cabinets installed.
  • Jan 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
    gravesite
    It depends on what type of floor you are installing usually we install the floor first unless the home owner is going to keep the cabinets a lot longer than the flooring then install the cabs. First it is much easier to replace the floor without having to remove the cabs.
  • Jan 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
    ballengerb1
    Put your flooring in now, wall to wall. It will make refrigerator and dishwasher replacement/repair much easier. I use up scrapes and mismatched old tiles under the cabinets from other jobs.
  • Jan 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Sailorman
    Floor is likely going to be a nice laminate. I'm deinitely tempted to just install now, wall to wall.
    Make sense?
  • Jan 14, 2008, 10:02 AM
    ballengerb1
    If you don't do the floor now you need to shim the cabinets up to the floor surface when you install.
  • Jan 15, 2008, 09:56 AM
    glavine
    I would install the floor now other wise you'll need to space the cabnits up 3/4 or what ever the floor is your putting down,

Just be sure to cover the floor after you lay it so it will be protected from sliding the cabnits around on it
  • Jan 19, 2008, 09:20 PM
    marmolindo
    I agree with all the answers given. Install the floor first and then the cabinets. Most of the kitchen floor remodeling that I have done do have the tile or hardwood under the cabinets. Also it makes it easier for the range, dishwasher and refrigerator fit level and for repairs as well.

Good luck
  • Jan 21, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle
    Sailorman - I fully agree with above answersw , ( FLOOR FIRST) ONE of my coustermers house was on concrete slab, a few years before they put down 2x4's then 3/4 plywood finish floor then vinyl, Now cabinets were NOT raised up to match new floor, under counter dishwasher goes out what now? Yep they want a new one installed,problem #2- basd cabinets were build in ,in place, what fun, so I say Put down floor first, then should be no future trobles GOOD LUCK< HAVE A GOOD DAY <GOD BLESS:::: F.B.E. GOOD ANS> B1
  • Jan 21, 2008, 09:36 PM
    cgregory67
    I would put the floor in now, but you did mention you were putting laminate floor down. Remember you can never install another floor over this material so removing it with cabinets on top can be tuff.