Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   "F" keys not working to enter BIOS on setup. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=484667)

• Jul 1, 2010, 04:58 PM
    ITstudent2006
    "F" keys not working to enter BIOS on setup.
    Hello Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been on AMHD. Kind of doing the Marine thing now. Anyway I am working on a friends computer but the "F" keys won't allow me to enter the BIOS on startup. I am re-installing a new OS and she can't remember her login password so I can't do it that way. So I planned on having the computer just boot from the disk however I ran into the problem described above.

Any thoughts.

Rick

P.S.

I am aware that by using USB keyboards that sometimes they don't work until windows is started because the USB drivers aren't installed yet but the desktop only allows for USB peripherals or else I would be using PS/2.
  • Jul 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
    cdad

What OS are you working with?
  • Jul 1, 2010, 06:06 PM
    ITstudent2006

The current OS is Vista Basic.
  • Jul 1, 2010, 08:15 PM
    KISS

Make sure the F key is known from the mfr.

One trick that worked in the old days is to change the CD and hard drive cables, so the CD boots first.

This is another option: Spotmau.com - Computer Service

Providing you can get a CD to boot.

Timing has to be right for the F key to be recognized.
  • Jul 1, 2010, 10:55 PM
    Scleros

F keys aren't universal. Some BIOSes use DEL or ESC or other multikey combinations. Common Fs are F1, F2, and F10. Lookup the motherboard documentation if none of those work.
  • Jul 2, 2010, 10:04 AM
    ITstudent2006

I've tried every key and key combination. I'm going to try switching the cables right now! I just don't understand why it's not working.

Rick
  • Jul 2, 2010, 10:16 AM
    KISS

Go to the Laptop manufacturer's website to find the combination required. You might find out you have to touch your nose at the same time. :)
  • Jul 2, 2010, 10:22 AM
    ITstudent2006
    Ok. I just switched cables and it started to look more promising. It went to a black screen with the text "boot from CD" and a flashing prompt. Then it just says that there's no bootbale devices.
    It lists
    SATA1-disconnected
    SATA2-connected
    SATA4-disconnected
    SATA5-disconnected

I left the HDD disconnected so it should have booted right off the CD-ROM but I don't know! Any Ideas

Rick
  • Jul 2, 2010, 10:31 AM
    KISS

Download Download | Ubuntu to CD. It's a Linux system that will run directly from the CD.

Should rule out booting issues.
  • Jul 2, 2010, 10:38 AM
    ITstudent2006

Strangley enough that works fine. I have to swap cables again and keep the HDD unplugged for it to boot from the CD but never-the-less it still boots. Will I be able to intall UBUNTU and then once logged in and running put in the XP Disc and run it from there?

Rick
  • Jul 2, 2010, 10:46 AM
    ITstudent2006
    I am just installing Win2k then I will just run the XP disc from there.

Rick
  • Jul 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
    ITstudent2006

I got it! XP running like a champ!

Thanks Guys.

Rick
  • Jul 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
    cdad

Did you happen to try alt-F12? Many put the restore section under that command.
  • Jul 3, 2010, 03:12 PM
    ITstudent2006

Lets see... yes I tried everything but as my post above yours clearly states I got it going! I amstillunsure of why it won't work because it works fine once the OS is loaded but during startup they don't. I blame it on the USB haha :D

Rick