Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Can't access my cd/dvd drive (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=8534)

• Mar 23, 2005, 09:27 PM
    C-Los
    Can't access my cd/dvd drive
    Need help. I can't access my cd/dvd drive. Its like my laptop doesn't know it's there. Don't know exactly what happened.

Can anyone help?
  • Mar 24, 2005, 06:39 AM
    ScottGem
    Did you try rebooting? If the drive is in a removeable bay, try removing and reinsterting (while powered down). You may want to use System Restore to go back to when it was working. You may have to remove it from Device Manager and have it redetected.

It would have helped to indicate brand and Win OS info.
  • Mar 28, 2005, 10:32 PM
    C-Los
    Well I did try to reboot and it didn't work. I deleted it from device manager so now I can see it but it only reads music cd's. It does not let me insert software and when I try to click on it from MY COMPUTER it says

D:\is not accesible, incorrect function!

Not sure why this is happening! :confused:
    Please help!

I am using a compaq laptop 2585US with Win XP. The problem is with my
    Dvd/cd burner combo which I believe is a sony already installed from the manafacturer! Let me know if you need more information!
  • Mar 29, 2005, 04:57 AM
    ScottGem
    Have you tried using System Restore to return to a time when it worked?
  • Mar 29, 2005, 09:30 PM
    C-Los
    Not sure how to do that, can you please explain how exactly??
    Not that computer savy? Sorry!
  • Mar 30, 2005, 12:21 AM
    thebriggsdude
    Well in xp to use system restore, IF its set to record save points which most are, go to the start menu, then all programs, then go to accessories, then system tools and click system restore... that will bring up sort of a calendar, which you pick a day when it worked and click restore to that point, and let it do its job. Now if you have anything important, they will be lost.
  • Mar 30, 2005, 05:57 AM
    SESaskDFC
    Howdy:

Briggs - perhaps you should learn a bit more about how System Restore works! You DON'T lose everything important.. In fact, you may lose nothing at all! If anything, only anything NEW put on the system from the date of the System Restore point to the present is lost!

Murray
  • Mar 30, 2005, 06:50 AM
    ScottGem
    To clarify, what System Restore does is take a snapshot of your configuration, primarily the Registry and store it for restoration at a later date. NO DATA is part of this snapshot.

Using System Restore simply replaces your current configuration with this snapshot. The only thing you might possibly lose is access to an application that was installed after the snapshot was taken. All that might be necessary is reinstalling that app.

To repeat, NO DATA FILES will be lost!
  • Mar 30, 2005, 12:03 PM
    thebriggsdude
    That's what I was talking about, applications!!
  • Mar 30, 2005, 12:17 PM
    thebriggsdude
    Oh crap I just read over what I said, forgot to say that any important applications like say if you just installed a AV a day after the problems started, restore to a point before that, it will be basically like you never had it.