Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Children (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   My friends 4 year old daughter won't talk or potty train (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=441123)

• Jan 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
    belvamk
    My friends 4 year old daughter won't talk or potty train
    My friend has a daughter who is 4 and won't talk she use to speak out words mom, dad, cat.. But now she don't say anything if she wants something she will come get you and show you what she want's. If you choose the wrong thing she lets out a scream. She is still in diapers as well won't use the potty at all. She goes to headstart she don't color in the lines she just scribbles all over the paper. She understands what he tells her she will go to bed and listen walks, runs but will sit in front of T.V and watch cartoons all day long.. does anyone have any input??
  • Jan 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
    J_9
    Was she a premature baby?
  • Jan 30, 2010, 06:16 PM
    belvamk
    No!
  • Jan 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
    belvamk

She just stop talking words at age 3 or 31/2
  • Jan 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Gemini54
    Has he taken her to a doctor? The little girl needs to be assessed by a professional so that action can be taken before it's too late.

Allowing a child to sit in front of the TV all day long is a sure fire way to arrest their development...
  • Jan 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
    belvamk

He has, they are going to start speech on her. But I think there is more to it... she goes to head start all day.
  • Jan 30, 2010, 07:13 PM
    Gemini54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by belvamk View Post
    he has, they are going to start speech on her. but I think there is more to it... she goes to head start all day.

What's head start ? - I'm not from the US.
  • Jan 30, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    What's head start ? - I'm not from the US.

It's an early education/family support program.

Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center - Head Start
  • Jan 30, 2010, 07:32 PM
    belvamk
    It's a school to get then ready for kindergarten.
  • Jan 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
    Gemini54
    Thank you. So, I assume that it is being run by people with early childhood training? What are they suggesting should be done?
  • Jan 31, 2010, 12:46 PM
    twinkiedooter

She may have had a reaction to the vaccinations she has gotten. Definitely take her to a speech therapist to at least learn sign language so she can communicate her needs in sign language. At the same time the speech therapist will start to introduce how to form words to the child. You will be given homework to do with her between sessions.

The potty training has me worried about her as well. You need to start working on that asap as she won't be allowed into kindergarten in diapers.

She needs to learn at least sign language now so you can communicate with her and vice versa on the potty training stuff.