Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Notorizing a hand written paper (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=217465)

• May 19, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Reecie
    Notorizing a hand written paper
    My son, who lives in Georgia needs a witness to write a three line statement that they knew when his child's mother came home one morning at 5:30 a.m. The lawyers want the sister to sign a paper that says just that. My son's attorney wants it notorized. The sister does not think that will hold water.

So the questions is, will having the sister write a one line statement and then have it notorized make it a legal document so my son's lawyer can use it to prove the mother of his child was out all night when the baby was only 6 months old.

Thank you very much.

Reecie
  • May 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
    ebaines
    All notarizing a piece of paper does is provide assurance as to who signed the document. So if the sister writes the statementa, then goes to a notary to have her signature notarized, this assures everyone later on who sees the statement that it was indeed the sister who signed it. It says nothing about whether the statement is true or not. Your son's lawyer can then use the document as evidence to a judge that there is a witness to the event without the witness necessarily having to be present at the hearing.
  • May 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
    twinkiedooter
    The sister must sign the paper before the notary and provide identification. The notary sees the paper signed and then applies the notary seal. The notary vouches that "Mary Jones" signed this paper on the blank day of May, 2008. The notary does not vouch for what wording the document contains, just the signature.
  • May 19, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    When the sister signs it in front of a notory it proves she signed it.
    So this will prove to the court that she signed it, now if it goes to court, most likely the sister will have to actually testify in court, since all they have the right to question witness against them.
  • May 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Sonador101
    Good luck with it all.
    Ps I know nothing about legal stuff
  • May 23, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Reecie
    Thank you all for answering my notary question. The papers have been notarized and mailed to the proper person. Thank all of you for such good advice. Reecie
  • May 23, 2008, 01:48 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonador101
    good luck with it all.
    ps i know nothing about legal stuff

I realize you are 13 and post on the relationship, dating, teen boards but this is a legal advice board, not a support board.

I know you know nothing about legal stuff and mean well, but, again, this is not a discussion board.
  • May 23, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Reecie
    Thank you all for helping. You all had good sufficient answers. The papers have been notoriaed and mailed to the attorneyl

Thank you all so much for the info you all gave. It was all very helpful.

Reecie