12. Honda Ignition Timing Adjustment
1. Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Adjust “Final Idle Speed” to 700 rpm, using the idle speed adjustment procedures above.
3. Turn off engine and all electrical systems.
4. Jump the Service Check Connector (SCC) with a paper clip.
5. Connect positive inductive timing light lead to the positive battery terminal.
6. Connect negative inductive timing light lead to engine ground.
7. Connect inductive timing light lead to the No. 1 spark plug wire.
8. Start engine.
9. Using the timing light, rotate the distributor, after loosening the three 12mm mounting bolts, until timing is set to 16 degrees BTDC* on the crankshaft pulley. 16 degrees BTDC should be the middle of the three clustered hash marks on the pulley. Align middle hash mark on pulley with pointer above. You may want to take chalk or yellow paint and highlight the hash mark first.
10. Button everything up.
11. Remove the BACKUP fuse for 10 seconds, in order to reset the computer. Record any radio codes first.