Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcicil Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 02:22 PM
    How do I connect to cast iron sewer pipe?
    I need to connect my kitchen drain into the sewer line which is a cast iron stack which goes from the basement floor, through the 2nd floor bathroom , and out the roof. The only connections to it are the bathroom toilet, tub and sink drains, which are under the bathroom floor. Is it possible to make a hole in the stack in the basement to connect my kitchen drain, and, if so, how?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 04:23 PM

You cannot just "make a hole". You need to cut out small section of pipe, insert Y and 45 fittings and continue towards your sink. There you will need to connect the sink and vent it. If your local Code allows, you can use AAV vent under kitchen cabinet. If not, you will have to run new vent and connect with existing vent anywhere from 48" above the kitchen floor all the way to the attic and /or through the roof.

Apr 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    You cannot just "make a hole". You need to cut out small section of pipe, insert Y and 45 fittings and continue towards your sink. There you will need to connect the sink and vent it. If your local Code allows, you can use AAV vent under kitchen cabinet. If not, you will have to run new vent and connect with existing vent anywhere from 48" above the kitchen floor all the way to the attic and /or through the roof.
    I knew that. I just don't have any way to support the stack or cut out a section. I was just hoping for an easier way. My brother said there are neoprene, clamp-on fittings that will allow me to bore a hole and connect. I think I'll shop around for an appropriate fitting. Thanks anyway, John
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 06:38 PM

Supporting existing plumbing is not as hard as it may appear. But in any case, please, do it the right way. It is sewer and therefore potential health hazard to you and your family...

Your brother is correct. It is done in large diameters sewer pipes, usually installed under streets. However, I have never seen it done on small residential sewer pipes.

Stop by if you need more help. Thank You. Milo

Jun 5, 2009, 04:03 PM
    I just finished my drain project. I redid my 1 1/2" undersink pipe, cut a hole in the floor, ran it down to the basement where I connected it to the existing 2" washer drain line, which I redirected and ran across the basement to the stack. Then I went to my local Ace Hardware and bought a 2"x4" saddle "T". It is made of PVC and contoured to match 4" pipe. It has a 2" female connector in the middle and is held in place by two U-bolts. Using my holesaw I cut a 2" hole in the stack, aligned the fitting and gasket with the hole and tightened it up. I then glued in the 2" pipe and the job was done, no runs, no drips, no errors. With the added water load I discovered that my main sewer line was clogged so I had to call a plumber anyway to roto-root my sewer line which was clogged with roots. He looked at my work and said that I did a nice job. Anyway, it was a lot easier than jacking up the main stack, cutting out a section, etc. as you suggested. Just thought you'd like to know. John
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 04:26 PM

Glad you got the job done, However, you should know that this would not pass any code in the united states. The boot you used does not have any directional flow, and is not allowed by code in the house. The plumber that said nice job, is only being curtious. If you asked him how he would do it, I bet the answer would be different(at least I hope). Anyway, you did get the job done, so good job. If you ever want to learn how to do it like a true plumber would, come on back and we will teach you.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 07:35 PM

I agree with MGD77. You applied HomeOwner's solution to your problem. But, as long as you are happy - that's all that counts.
    BBSBuilding Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
    You can make a hole in the cast iron pipe with a bit of effort as I did here BBS Building How to connect a plastic waste to a cast iron soil pipe saniflo

The link on the last comment has been moved to here bbsbuilding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

How to tie into a cast iron sewer pipe with new ASB [ 8 Answers ]

My sewer line runs under my bath. I am going to remodel my bath and need to know how to tie into an existing cast iron sewer line. Will cutting the line pose any explosion hazards? Would I just get an ASB connection and secure it with the clamped rubber couplings?

Can you connect a cast iron closet flange to an ABS Pipe? [ 9 Answers ]

I have to move my toilet over an inch from the wall per inspector's request. I have searched the internet and have not found an ABS offset closet flange that would work for me. I did however find a cast iron flange that measures 4" x 2" (Jones Stephens Corp. Model # C44-420). Is it at all...

Connect pvc to cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to connect new PVC drain pipe to old Cast Iron drain pipe?

View more questions Search