Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunorr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2006, 06:34 AM
    1999 Honda accord electrical shuts off when driving
    I have a 1999 Honda Accord that occasionately shuts off while driving down road. First thought it just ran out of gas but running out of gas would not shut all electrical systems down. Anyone have any ideas?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 01:08 PM
    First, check for a faulty MAP sensor, which controls ignition timing and air/fuel mixture through inputs to the ECM. Problem most likely with the electrical side of the MAP sensor, rather than the vacuum. However, both are easy to check out. Turn ignition on and check for 5v. Going between + reference wire and - ground. Check for 5v. Also going between the + signal wire and - ground. If you don't have 5v. then the problem could be with the computer not delivering the necessary 5v. To the MAP sensor. Second, check out your main relay.

Let me know if this solved your problem.
    Stop_Motion Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
    It sounds like it might also be the ignition switch. There is a recall on 97-2002 Accords and CR-Vs because of the faulty ignition switch, which can cause the car to stall in the middle of driving, like someone just pulled the plug on it. I'm having the same problem with my '95 Accord, which has the same ignition switch, but for some reason was left out of the recall. I was having the "Hot Soak" starting problem (main relay, prob.) but now it won't stay started at all. I had noticed my needles and guages die intermittently but they came right back. Then it just died while I was driving it, and I've only been able to get it to start again by messing with the ignition switch, which I hope to be able to replace soon. I will check the MAP sensor, as well, though. Where is info on checking the MAP sensor?
    fleetmack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 07:27 AM
    I had the same problem on my 95lx... it was the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to swap out and the part was $44 at the dealer. Hell of a cheap fix for such an enormous problem. Thanks for the post on this, guys, it really helped me narrow down my problem!
    Stop_Motion Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
    That's finally what fixed mine, too. That things should be recalled, In my opinion. It's to squirrely a part to have so much potential for sudden and total wipeout!
    tkrivanek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 08:52 AM
    My car has had the same "engine shut off" problem since 2000 or 2001 which I have taken to the dealer twice and each time they did not find a problem. Now I am well beyond my warranty and will have to pay for the repair.

I called Honda [1-800-999-1009] to see if my vehicle was included in the recall, it was not. I was told that if enough cars were reported to have had this issue separate from the production line that received it, a recall could be sent out. If your car is under the recall and you have paid for the repair they will reimburse you for the cost.

Everyone should check to see if their accord falls under the recall listed below. If your car is not covered get the problem documented with Honda Corp by calling and reporting it and what you paid to fix it even if you did the repair yourself.

I have an appointment tomorrow for a possible starter solenoid contact issue [my car won't start at the first attempt] I am wondering if this is related to the ignition switch issue. Either way if my car dies in traffic and I can't restart it I am screwed, it's a very dangerous situation.

I learned a lot about this in my call and how Honda handles these issues. If anyone wants to know more let me know...

~Tammy

Also Check this link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true

The recall:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 02V120000
    Recall Data: 05/16/2002
    Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
    Units Affected: 1000000
    1999 HONDA ACCORD ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
    Recall Date: 05/16/2002

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence:
    WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected: 1000000

Notes: HONDA ACCORD
    Hoodini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dunorr
    I have a 1999 Honda Accord that occasionately shuts off while driving down road. First thought it just ran out of gas but running out of gas would not shut all electrical systems down. Anyone have any ideas?
    Check the ignition on the car, where the keys goes... for me it was worn out probably too heavy a key ring. Its an easily fixed problem... about a $20 part. THe dealership couldn't figure it out.
    The car turns off while your driving... I bet if you hold the key forward the car will stay on.
    bluefebbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Hey!

Bought this 99 honda accord dx 4 door 5 speed back in 2006. In the end of 2007 the car shut off on the high way while I was driving!! Thank God I didn't get into an accident! I was so scared to drive the car from then on I traded vehicles with my boyfriend for a short while... He thought I was crazy because he couldn't get it to shut off like it happened to me! I took the car back and sure enough it happened again! He was with me this time so he saw it happen. We looked over the car and looked online and found my car had a recall on it. We called Honda's 1800 number and they told us the car had already been recalled and fixed in 2002! So why then a couple of years later would the same problem be happening! I am scared that if I go and have it fixed it will just shut off on me again in four years! Did they just replace the faulty part with another faulty part? I have read some of the forms here and they seem to indicate that it could be the wiring to the ignition switch and not the whole part. We have rigged the car by hanging objects off the keys to get it to stay on... only thing is we started with just a wine tool and now to get it to stay on I have to fight two coffee cups to shift gears!lol. I know it's only a matter of time before it stops altogether! My question is that if I replace only the wiring to the switch (which I found for around $60) will this affect the magnetic components to turn the car on? Will it still run? Is this a hard part to swap out? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    *Chantal
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 02:14 PM

Blue, here's how the replace the ignition switch:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Here's how much it costs:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Not a difficult job.
    bluefebbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 02:31 PM
    So I don't have to pay honda to do anything!! Thanks so much!
    goonmeister Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 04:05 PM
    I have a similar problem on my 98 EX Accord. The electrical system shuts off while driving. I'm not sure to what extent, the tacometer and speedometer go to zero and back up. Some but not all lights on the dash light up. My car however continues to run, the electrical system goes back online. It may be because it has a manual transmission. The engine does not ever shut off.

I checked the key ignition and wiggled my key around and the car stayed on.

I have an ignition problem in the past. The car would start randomly. It turned out that it was the relay that triggers the solenoid starter.

Any ideas?
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 04:17 PM

goonmeister, consider replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

The ICM is tied directly to the tachometer; therefore, the rpm drop and recovery could be an indictment of the control module.
    dgstern51 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
    I have been having this same problem SINCE I had the Ignition Switch replaced under the Recall. Wasn't really having that problem before, the key wouldn't always turn or release. However, the only thing I wanted to add as more of a Question than answer, is why does the car only seem to suddenly stop EARLY in each trip. What I mean is that I can start the car, go about half a mile, it dies, and then once re-started usually doesn't stop again! Lately I have had to turn it over up to 20 times before the engine would catch and run.
    But even with that, when it finally did run, it runs great. 27 MPG, 348,000 miles on it. But it is going to get me killed. Thanks to everyone who has providee answers that may yet lead to them solving the problem on my vehicle.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 11:13 AM

dgstern51, I would start by replacing the ICM and coil. If the problem persists, replace the distributor housing (genuine Honda only) and install your new ICM and coil in it. I recommend replacing these components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.
    begbie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 08:39 PM

I have a 1999 Accord V6. Just had this happen to me on the highway. There was smoke coming from the steering column before the engine shut down. Luckily I was able to pull over safely. Had the car towed home. When I disassembled the steering column, I found the switch had melted, the solder melted off the contacts and the insulation on the wires leading up to the switch had melted together. No damage other than that
    Glad I found this Thread. I'm calling the dealer Monday morning to see if this repair will be covered under the recall.
    wpql Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 02:54 PM

To solve this problem I replaced the ignition switch and Main relay and solved the problem.
    I ordered the parts online about $83 for both and about 1 hours labor.
    Easy fix for such a huge problem
    elyyang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 09:23 PM
    I have similar problem before, my 94 Accord LX Engine cuts out all the sudden (during acceleration, at a stop sign, 20 minutes of driving, 1 min of driving).

When the engine cuts out, there is no rough idling, no backfire, no hesitation, no unusual engine behavior. The RPM all the sudden just drop to zero. Sometimes can't even notice it because its so quiet.

The no hesitation, no rough idling indicates its an electrical problem... so either the main relay or the distributor.
    For my case, it's the distributor (not just the cap, but the entire distributor assembly which include the Ignition Control Module)
    SilentO Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elyyang View Post
    I have similar problem before, my 94 Accord LX Engine cuts out all the sudden (during acceleration, at a stop sign, 20 mins of driving, 1 min of driving).

When the engine cuts out, there is no rough idling, no backfire, no hesitation, no unusual engine behavior. The RPM all the sudden just drop to zero. sometimes can't even notice it because its so quiet.

The no hesitation, no rough idling indicates its an electrical problem...so either the main relay or the distributor.
    For my case, its the distributor (not just the cap, but the entire distributor assembly which include the Ignition Control Module)
    How can I look up the part number for the main relay? I have an accord 2001. The entire distributor is $298 and I heard the relay is around 80.
    sryanc28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 11:37 AM
    I have a 1999 honda accord with a stall problem. When the car is cold or if I haven't driven it anywhere for 5-8 hours it will stall. If I don't want it to stall I have to hold the gas and the brake at the same time. Any clue?
    casacujo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
    I have 2006 Honda Accord, and it shuts off while driving.. wonder if ignition switch caused this shut off problem.. Please advise if any of you had similar problem and you have fixed the problems by replacing ignition switch.. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 honda accord won't start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, My accord won't start when I crank it up. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the ignition coil, but when I replaced it, I still have the same problem

1999 Accord dies unexpectedly and won't restart [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. This problem has actually been happening for over a year, but was so infrequent in the beginning and has become more serious. I never know when it will die, so I avoid freeway driving, since the car could die, it is like a deathtrap. It is due for a tune-up... does anyone know if the main...

98 Honda Civic Shuts off while driving [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the freakin problem... I can be driving and my car will completely shut off. The radio will turn off and turn back on, but the power steering goes out, the blinker won't work and then the lights on the dash board will blink on and off with a sound of a clicking noise that sounds...

1999 Honda Accord (4cyl) Whistle? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a 99 Honda Accord 4cyl, auto transmission car with 78k on it. The problem is it makes a whistle noise when slightly accelerating on the gas. The noise will go away when you step on the gas hard. You can clearly hear it cruising at 55mph. The car also only does it when it is warm. The...

Trouble starting 1999 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

My 1999 honda accord does not start occasionly. About once a week, I don't get any start. I turn the key several times like I'm advancing the starter or something, and it will start fine. It takes anywhere from 4 to 15 attempts, but always starts. What is the most likely cause? Starter? Relay?...

View more questions Search