Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lilne Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 06:38 PM
    How to publish a book?
    Hi, I‘m 11 and I want to publish my book, it’s dedicated to my friend and I really want to finish it for her。
    How do I publish it? I searched about it online, some people suggest self-publishing, but anothers say only if you want it to rot with mould on undistrubted shelves( if it ever makes it there)many agree you have to get an agent, but how do you get one?
    What‘s really the best way to publish a book and have the best hopes of making it poplour?( and making it to bookstore shelves) I would really apprecaite it if you could give me a good and reasonable answer。
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2010, 12:36 PM

What sort of book?

The short answer is that the best way to publish a book is to write a really good story. If it's good enough, you will get it published (though it's a long slow process).

Is your book finished? If not, finish it. Then go back and edit it. And edit it again. And again. John Boyne, who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, always rewrites each book 10 or 12 times, and sometimes more often.

One of the big "secrets" of publishing is that no-one writes a book and gets it published just like that. All books need a huge amount of rewriting and editing, and the writers who are prepared to do that are the ones who get published.

How long is your book? What age group is it aimed at? Have you had any independent readers give you feedback on it? (tip, when you are getting people to read it, ask them to tell you all the things they DON'T like about it)

Depending on the type of book, some publishers will read it without an agent. If a publisher is interested, you'll get an agent very easily! Getting an agent is as difficult as getting a publisher, it's not a short cut, and probably not necessary unless you think this book has an international market, so you need someone to work out the foreign rights for you. That's what agents do.

Don't self-publish. It costs a lot of money, you probably won't like the result, and you definitely will not get it onto the shelves of regular bookshops.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2010, 01:17 PM

The first thing I would do is finish the book. Next take it to your English or Writing teacher in school and ask them to read it and critique it. If they feel it has potential then you can try sending it to publishers and/or literary agents.

If you want to sell your book yourself, you can actually publish it as an e-book and sell it yourself through a web site.

Jul 30, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The first thing I would do is finish the book. Next take it to your English or Writing teacher in school and ask them to read it and critique it. If they feel it has potential then you can try sending it to publishers and/or literary agents.

If you want to sell your book yourself, you can actually publish it as an e-book and sell it yourself through a web site.
    I haven't showed it to my teacher yet,( mainly because I think the book is still not ready) I have rewritten and edited it lots of times through, however, the main storyline is unchanged.
    I think I'll try for publishers, I want to see my book in real print, after all.
    Thanks for the answer, now all that's left for me to do is to find a publisher.

Jul 30, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    What sort of book?

The short answer is that the best way to publish a book is to write a really good story. If it's good enough, you will get it published (though it's a long slow process).

Is your book finished? If not, finish it. Then go back and edit it. And edit it again. And again. John Boyne, who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, always rewrites each book 10 or 12 times, and sometimes more often.

One of the big "secrets" of publishing is that no-one writes a book and gets it published just like that. All books need a huge amount of rewriting and editing, and the writers who are prepared to do that are the ones who get published.

How long is your book? What age group is it aimed at? Have you had any independent readers give you feedback on it? (tip, when you are getting people to read it, ask them to tell you all the things they DON'T like about it)

Depending on the type of book, some publishers will read it without an agent. If a publisher is interested, you'll get an agent very easily! Getting an agent is as difficult as getting a publisher, it's not a short cut, and probably not necessary unless you think this book has an international market, so you need someone to work out the foreign rights for you. That's what agents do.

Don't self-publish. It costs a lot of money, you probably won't like the result, and you definitely will not get it onto the shelves of regular bookshops.
    It's still only coming along, but I'm working hard on it and I hope I'll get it finished in the best result possible.:D
    Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to follow it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2010, 12:26 PM

I really suggest that you let your teacher's see it first. They will have a better handle on its marketability.

If you insist on trying to send it to publishers, talk to your librarian.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 01:12 PM

Please get lots of reader reviews first, before you approach publishers. It would be maddening if you had a really good book on your hands, and you failed to get it published because you sent it before it was ready.

The great thing about a first book is that you are not under time pressure. You can spend as long as necessary getting it right. No-one is standing over you, screaming "Why are you not working faster, this book has to be ready in a month?"

I know it's hard showing your teacher, it feels like you are leaving your baby out for strangers to abuse, but publishing a book is like that. I've had a book on Amazon.com, and I swear, I brood over every negative comment I got on the reader reviews.

It doesn't have to be your English teacher. Perhaps try some other teacher?

There's a website called Grammarly - English grammar checker, proofreader & plagiarism scanner where you can get a full grammar check. They offer a week free, which should be enough time for you to get your whole book checked. They'll point out misspellings, improper use of commas, passive voice, over-complicated sentences, verbs that fail to agree, and suggest synonyms for over-used words. It's well worth giving your book a check with it, as misspellings, bad grammar or poor sentence structure are things which will get your book returned to you.

One thing I'd suggest: make sure your opening is brilliant. It doesn't matter how good page ten is, if page one doesn't grab the reader's attention, no-one will ever read page ten.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilne View Post
    i haven't showed it to my teacher yet,( mainly because i think the book is still not ready) i have rewritten and edited it lots of times through, however, the main storyline is unchanged.
    i think i'll try for publishers, i want to see my book in real print, after all.
    thanks for the answer, now all that's left for me to do is to find a publisher.
    Editing also means correcting grammar, punctuation, and capitalization mistakes. The book has to be in perfect condition before a publisher will even look at it.

You will want to approach publishers first with a query letter (i.e. don't send them the manuscript right off the bat). I am more than glad to help you with that. Others too will chime in with suggestions.

Jul 30, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I really suggest that you let your teacher's see it first. They will have a better handle on its marketability.

If you insist on trying to send it to publishers, talk to your librarian.

Yes, I'll remember that.:)

Jul 30, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Please get lots of reader reviews first, before you approach publishers. It would be maddening if you had a really good book on your hands, and you failed to get it published because you sent it before it was ready.

The great thing about a first book is that you are not under time pressure. You can spend as long as necessary getting it right. No-one is standing over you, screaming "Why are you not working faster, this book has to be ready in a month?"

I know it's hard showing your teacher, it feels like you are leaving your baby out for strangers to abuse, but publishing a book is like that. I've had a book on Amazon.com, and I swear, I brood over every negative comment I got on the reader reviews.

It doesn't have to be your English teacher. Perhaps try some other teacher?

There's a website called Grammarly - English grammar checker, proofreader & plagiarism scanner where you can get a full grammar check. They offer a week free, which should be enough time for you to get your whole book checked. They'll point out misspellings, improper use of commas, passive voice, over-complicated sentences, verbs that fail to agree, and suggest synonyms for over-used words. It's well worth giving your book a check with it, as misspellings, bad grammar or poor sentence structure are things which will get your book returned to you.

One thing I'd suggest: make sure your opening is brilliant. It doesn't matter how good page ten is, if page one doesn't grab the reader's attention, no-one will ever read page ten.
    All nice points! That really helped me a lot! A thousand thanks! ;)

Jul 30, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Editing also means correcting grammar, punctuation, and capitalization mistakes. The book has to be in perfect condition before a publisher will even look at it.

You will want to approach publishers first with a query letter (i.e., don't send them the manuscript right off the bat). I am more than glad to help you with that. Others too will chime in with suggestions.
    Yes, I suppose, how should I write my letter?:confused:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilne View Post
    yes, i suppose, how should i write my letter?:confused:
    You want the query letter to be less than one page, an interest-getter. Here are some good examples --

http://www.charlottedillon.com/query.html
    (scroll down for the sample)

Here's a query letter from another site (and don't forget to use a business style in writing your letter) along with a comment from the site at the end --

Sample Query Letter # 1: Fiction -- Novel

Dear Editor [use an actual name]:

My grandma says time don't run but one way, but that summer was one where at times I wished it wouldn't run at all. Just hold still on Saturday nights when the best thing to do was fly down dark roads in Billy Clodfelter's Lark with the windows rolled down and the music up. Stop on Sunday mornings when Mary Barrier smiled at me over her hymnal. Just stay at the time when things still seemed simple.

Jake Hanson has always helped his dad on his rounds of the juke joints and pool halls of Cap Rock, Georgia, changing the records and collecting the cash. He always thought he would take over the business someday, but now at 14, he's beginning to really listen to some of the people and the music they make. He also begins to question why some customers are treated differently, especially in the black sections of town. When he hears Belinda Triplett singing in a way he's never heard on any record, Jake knows he wants to be something more than just a juke box man.

Set in the early '60s, Juke Joint is a young adult novel of a boy finding his own path in a turbulent time. Jake and Belinda are strong characters whose growing friendship flies in the face of the conventions of their small Southern town. Not just a romance or a problem novel, Juke Joint explores the issues of racism and family loyalty against a setting of church socials and midnight drag racing, gospel and rhythm and blues.

I would be happy to send the manuscript to you for consideration and have enclosed a reply card for your convenience.

Very truly yours,

[Your name]

A fiction query letter might be the toughest kind to write. It should be short, but contain enough of the sense of the story and your writing style to catch the attention of an editor. Since so much of fiction is a matter of taste, the letter needs to be targeted carefully. Think about what sort of copy entices you to check out a book by an author you have never read before. Sometimes including an excerpt from the manuscript can be a good approach--for example the beginning paragraph if you have a good hook.

Query letters for fiction are worth a bit of angst and extra polishing. Reading a novel requires a larger investment of time on the editor's part, so the query letter must be targeted very carefully. Don't send a serious issue book to a house that does only series romances.

Jul 31, 2010, 02:25 PM
    You want the query letter to be less than one page, an interest-getter. Here are some good examples --

Sample Query Letter

Here's a query letter from another site (and don't forget to use a business style in writing your letter) along with a comment from the site at the end --

My grandma says time don't run but one way, but that summer was one where at times I wished it wouldn't run at all. Just hold still on Saturday nights when the best thing to do was fly down dark roads in Billy Clodfelter's Lark with the windows rolled down and the music up. Stop on Sunday mornings when Mary Barrier smiled at me over her hymnal. Just stay at the time when things still seemed simple.

Jake Hanson has always helped his dad on his rounds of the juke joints and pool halls of Cap Rock, Georgia, changing the records and collecting the cash. He always thought he would take over the business someday, but now at 14, he's beginning to really listen to some of the people and the music they make. He also begins to question why some customers are treated differently, especially in the black sections of town. When he hears Belinda Triplett singing in a way he's never heard on any record, Jake knows he wants to be something more than just a juke box man.

Set in the early '60s, Juke Joint is a young adult novel of a boy finding his own path in a turbulent time. Jake and Belinda are strong characters whose growing friendship flies in the face of the conventions of their small Southern town. Not just a romance or a problem novel, Juke Joint explores the issues of racism and family loyalty against a setting of church socials and midnight drag racing, gospel and rhythm and blues.

I would be happy to send the manuscript to you for consideration and have enclosed a reply card for your convenience.

Very truly yours,

[Your name]

A fiction query letter might be the toughest kind to write. It should be short, but contain enough of the sense of the story and your writing style to catch the attention of an editor. Since so much of fiction is a matter of taste, the letter needs to be targeted carefully. Think about what sort of copy entices you to check out a book by an author you have never read before. Sometimes including an excerpt from the manuscript can be a good approach--for example the beginning paragraph if you have a good hook.

Query letters for fiction are worth a bit of angst and extra polishing. Reading a novel requires a larger investment of time on the editor's part, so the query letter must be targeted very carefully. Don't send a serious issue book to a house that does only series romances.
    Thanks, that helped a lot。:)

Aug 1, 2010, 05:59 PM

Sample Query Letter

Very truly yours,

[Your name]

Sorry to ask this, but I need a name for a character in my book, I want it to mean pure( purity) in anicent greek or maybe latin if no choice. I reserached but it's too hard to find.
    I'm so sorry to ask this! But please help me on this:o
    p.s. if you can't find it, it's fine, I apologize for asking this.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2010, 06:08 PM

Katharos is the Greek for Purity.

Santamonia is Latin.

Purity is a perfectly good name for a girl.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 06:09 PM

I will go off track for one moment, showing it to a teacher can be great but it also can be bad. Not all teachers are great at being there for the children. Many would not take a younger child serious as a writer and others even worst often smash a child's dream. I had both in school
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 06:46 PM
    Santamonia is Latin.
    I love you dearly, Eileen, but the word is sanctimonia in Latin, thus the English word "sanctimonious."
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2010, 07:33 AM
    I love you dearly, Eileen, but the word is sanctimonia in Latin, thus the English word "sanctimonious."
    Sorry, spelled it wrong. Of course, you are right. My computer has a predictive function on it which occasionally runs away with itself.

Aug 9, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Sorry, spelled it wrong. Of course, you are right. My computer has a predictive function on it which occasionally runs away with itself.
    Thanks for the answer.:)

Aug 9, 2010, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I will go off track for one moment, showing it to a teacher can be great but it also can be bad. Not all teachers are great at being there for the children. Many would not take a younger child serious as a writer and others even worst often smash a childs dream. I had both in school
    Well, pherhaps, but my dream won't be easily smashed.:cool: especially since it's dedicated to my friend. I'll definely finish it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I publish my book? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Cheyenne and I am 13 years old. I have recently worte a book about a wolf pup that has a seret power. It talks about how animals use the envirment to help survive in the wild and life is too short to spend it away from your family. I have just finished the book in April and don't...

How to publish a children's book? [ 1 Answers ]

I've written several children's books and would like to submit them to the right people. Any suggestions on what steps to take?

Publish date of a Book [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a book, "The Last Of The Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper from the Surrey Press, New York. The book is old and I really like the story. This book has no copyright nor does it have any dates of the printing. No pages are missing. How can I tell the publish date of a book like...

Publish book [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the middle of writing a book and I am wondering: Is there a place where I can send it and they say if it is good enough to publish?

Book publish [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if I am in the right place for this question But I am in the middle of writing a story and so far I think it is good and want to know if it is good enough to get published and people to buy it but I don't know what to do. Can you please help

View more questions Search