Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    She showed two styles in the one post.
    Oops!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 11:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Merci!

Yes it is for college, actually, horticulture to be exact.

It's an essay about landscape safety. It has to be written in APA and the best essay wins $750!

So I'm really trying my hardest on this.

Sarah
    I've been the secretary as well as the president of our local horticulture club and have taken the course to be a Master Gardener.

I'm not an expert at those things, but I do have some resources, if you'd like to take advantage of them.

Thanks!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 12:03 AM

Oh yes! Any help would be appreciated!

I have a question:

How would you cite this in an APA format?

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/co/95co094.html

Sarah
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
    Hi, Sarah!

Is that article from an online database of some kind to be used for reference?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Sarah!

Is that article from an online database of some kind to be used for reference?

Thanks!
    It is an : Colorado FACE Investigation 95CO094

To be exact.

Sarah
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 08:38 AM

How do you reference a web page that lists no author?

When there is no author for a web page, the title moves to the first position of the reference entry:

Example:
    New child vaccine gets funding boost. (2001). Retrieved March 21, 2001, from http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/story_13178.asp

Cite in text the first few words of the reference list entry (usually the title) and the year. Use double quotation marks around the title or abbreviated title.: ("New Child Vaccine," 2001).

Use the full title of the web page if it is short for the parenthetical citation.

(adapted from the sixth edition of the APA Publication Manual, © 2010)
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 08:43 AM

Thanks Wondergirl!

You and Cloughy are the best.

Hope one day I can be as smart as you guys.

Thanks again!

Sarah
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Thanks Wondergirl!
    Use that link I gave you for APA or get the darn book from the library. This is bringing back old memories -- used APA for three years in grad school. Arrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhh!! I'm here all weekend, so just holler if you need help.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 01:58 AM

I am almost done my paper.

Do you think you guys could check it out for me?

Look at the grammar, punctuation, spelling, see if my in citing is correct?

Thanks.

Sarah
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 02:12 AM
    Please just post it here, Sarah.

If you don't want it exposed on the thread, then you could provide it as an attachment to a post in some sort of document format.

I'll be happy to check it out, as I'm sure Wondergirl will be willing to do so also.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Please just post it here, Sarah.

If you don't want it exposed on the thread, then you could provide it as an attachment to a post in some sort of document format.

I'll be happy to check it out, as I'm sure Wondergirl will be willing to do so also.

Thanks!

Okay. I'll just post it here :)

Sarah
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 02:31 AM
    If you post it, we will come! :D

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:12 AM
    If you post it, we will come! :D

Thanks!
    Landscape Safety

Landscape safety is not just reading a manual or directions that equipment or product came with, landscape safety is having the power to prevent from others, as well as yourself from getting hurt. It is very important to be aware of landscape safety, being careless could really cost you an arm or a leg. Practicing proper safety techniques and being cautious, not only saves you or others from harm but you could also become a success in your landscaping career. When cautious, you are able to pay more attention to your work, in which will result in a better job done.

On November, 6, 1995, (Colorado FACE Investigation) a 45 year old landscaper died from having a tractor roll over him, skid marks showed that he was backing up at excessive speed for that particular terrain, which was also on a slope. Not only was his negligence a result of his death, but the tractor was not equipped with a roll over protection system. The employer also should have provided some sort of training in order for the employee to better comprehend on how to use the machine. There also should have been more job site surveys, to identify hazards, and come up with solutions to avoid getting employees into danger. Another incident happened on May, 2, 2003, (Oregon Health & Science University, 2003) where a 23 year old landscaper had fallen into to a landscaping pond and drowned to death. There should have been grab lines, life preserves and other safety devices to prevent a drowning.

There are countless death reports of landscapers dying and losing their limbs due to the carelessness of their employers, or even the worker’s own negligence. Without having some sort of training, without having safety equipment, without being aware, you can lose your life, your business and damage other’s lives as well. New workers and young workers need to be aware of the hazards; they also need to be trained on how to use any type of machinery. Between the years of 2003 and 2006, (eLCOSH. 2008) an average of 197 workers died each year, 197 is too high of a number, landscaping employers would not just be buying safety gear to protect themselves from future lawsuit but they could be saving a life.

In 2004, the Occupational Safety legislation in Ontario (Landscaping & Grounds keeping, 2009) states that the employers and supervisors are accountable for every accident. Also, when injured at work a police officer will visit and interview each employee that was injured. In 2003, Bill C-45 (Canadian Center for Occupational Health & Safety, 2004) was introduced; it states that if an employer fails to protect their employees and public safety, they are now criminally liable. In short not only is there an injured worked but your business can suffer and injury itself. Jay Murray, (Landscaping & Grounds keeping, 2009) president and chief safety advisor of Landscape Safety.com said “A serious injury could ruin a business and cost tens of thousands of dollars in fines, not to mention the guilt you would feel over a debilitating injury or fatality for which you as an employer or supervisor were deemed responsible.”.

To conclude, safety is almost vital for a company to succeed. Being safe improves the landscaping industry simply because there are less injured workers but there would be a job better done. New workers and young workers should be trained thoroughly to avoid any mishaps. Job surveys should be done regularly in order to have the number of hazards to a minimum. Landscape safety is not just reading a manual or directions that equipment or product came with, landscape safety is having the power to prevent from others, as well as yourself from getting hurt.

--Thanks for the help guys!

Sarah
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Landscape Safety

Landscape safety isn't just about reading a manual or directions that came with the equipment. Landscape safety is having the power to prevent you and others from getting hurt.
    [Space]
    It is very important to be aware of landscape safety precautions. Being careless could [really - omit] cost you an arm or a leg. Practicing proper safety techniques and being

cautious, not only saves you or others from potential harm, but you could also become more successful in your landscaping career by following certain safety procedures. When cautious, you are able to pay more attention to your work, in which will result in a better job done.

On November, 6, 1995, (Colorado FACE Investigation) a 45 year old landscaper died from having a tractor roll over him, skid marks showed that he was backing up at excessive speed for that particular terrain, which was also on a slope. Not only was his negligence a result of his death, but the tractor was not equipped with a roll over protection system. The employer also should have provided some sort of training in order for the employee to better comprehend on how to use the machine. There also should have been more job site surveys, to identify hazards, and come up with solutions to avoid getting employees into danger. Another incident happened on May, 2, 2003, (Oregon Health & Science University, 2003) where a 23 year old landscaper had fallen into to a landscaping pond and drowned to death. There should have been grab lines, life preserves and other safety devices to prevent a drowning.

There are countless death reports of landscapers dying and losing their limbs due to the carelessness of their employers, or even the worker's own negligence. Without having some sort of training, without having safety equipment, without being aware, you can lose your life, your business and damage other's lives as well. New workers and young workers need to be aware of the hazards; they also need to be trained on how to use any type of machinery. Between the years of 2003 and 2006, (eLCOSH., 2008) an average of 197 workers died each year, 197 is too high of a number, landscaping employers would not just be buying safety gear to protect themselves from future lawsuit but they could be saving a life.

In 2004, the Occupational Safety legislation in Ontario (Landscaping & Grounds keeping, 2009) states that the employers and supervisors are accountable for every accident. Also, when injured at work a police officer will visit and interview each employee that was injured. In 2003, Bill C-45 (Canadian Center for Occupational Health & Safety, 2004) was introduced; it states that if an employer fails to protect their employees and public safety, they are now criminally liable. In short not only is there an injured worked but your business can suffer and injury itself. Jay Murray, (Landscaping & Grounds keeping, 2009) president and chief safety advisor of Landscape Safety.com said “A serious injury could ruin a business and cost tens of thousands of dollars in fines, not to mention the guilt you would feel over a debilitating injury or fatality for which you as an employer or supervisor were deemed responsible.”.

To conclude, safety is almost vital for a company to succeed. Being safe improves the landscaping industry simply because there are less injured workers but there would be a job better done. New workers and young workers should be trained thoroughly to avoid any mishaps. Job surveys should be done regularly in order to have the number of hazards to a minimum. Landscape safety is not just reading a manual or directions that equipment or product came with, landscape safety is having the power to prevent from others, as well as yourself from getting hurt.

--Thanks for the help guys!

Sarah
    Hi again, Sarah!

My first suggested revisions are in RED.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:38 AM

The spaces would still follow the APA style?

Sarah
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:45 AM
    Hi again, Sarah!

What I've just read would indicate that all of your lines should be double-spaced, except for that which is quoted.

APA 101.4: Page Formats and Headings

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Hi again, Sarah!

What I've just read would indicate that all of your lines should be double-spaced, except for that which is quoted.

APA 101.4: Page Formats and Headings

Thanks!
    Thank you!

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

DVD Format [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the correct format to convert a movie I downloaded in AVI format to so that I can copy it on DVD to watch it on TV? Thanks for the help, Rod:confused:

Format a CD/RW [ 1 Answers ]

How can I format a rewriteable cd

DVD format [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DVD row in my computer but when I put a DVD row into it with the format .flv and it won't play and also I have try to change the format but it won't work either.

Format? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way in MS Word to merge several different articles & have them all the same length? Instead of: This is just an example! This is just an example!

View more questions Search