Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Engineer in trouble
    So, this is actually a post for my friend: I need to know what advice to give her.

This is the situation: She was bored at work, and was drawing on face's of (friend) co-workers on Photoshop. She is not on house reassignment, her email address is suspended and she is not allowed in the building until they make a decision on whether she will be fired for "workplace harrassment". Can this be right? Is this fair? She was not the only one caught, but she is the only one being punished. Can she sue for discrimination? Her and her boss were not originally seeing eye to eye, so we think he is wanting to make an example of her.

Please help me help her. This is her first job since college. She's a Civil Engineer. She doesn't want to get fired from her first job!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Discrimination, so is she being picked on for some protected reason,

You can legally discriminate for many things, you can go in tomorrow and fire all the blonde people, or red haired people, YOu can't fire for race, or gender and so on
    Vision Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
    He doesn't like her... we think that's the reason.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 04:27 AM
    If this was her first job, then I think she should have been keeping her nose clean, so to speak. Drawing faces on co-workers pics because she was bored. No, I don't think that is a wise call and lacks maturity.
    Vision Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 04:42 PM
    She knows that it wasn't mature or wise. And she learned from it, but I think their actions were a bit harsh. Especially since she was the only one punished for something that many others were doing as well.

Either way, she is now back at work and was knocked down a peg in pay and seniority.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Many of us have made that same mistake and learned from it. I am glad she still has a job. Years ago she would have been fired on the spot and no questions asked, chi. She should be happy to have a friend like you to go to bat for her.
    Vision Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Aw thanks. I'm glad that things worked out for her. Honestly, I think things would have gone differently if her boss didn't hate her though.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
    She should be looking for another job. Even though they kept her on, she has no future in this company. She should be spot-on with her work and give no additional reasons for reprimands in the meantime, and then should resign when she has another job lined up with hearts and flowers... "Thanks so much for this great opportunity. I learned a great deal here and will be very interested to see how the firm continues to grow and thrive."

I learned this from my Dad. He was a salesman years ago and was the top rep for his company month after month after month. At a convention all the reps were responsible for keeping a hospitality suite going at the hotel where the convention was taking place, to entertain customers through the cocktail hour. The men had been working all day and wanted to put on a fresh shirt and tie before dinner, shave and have a couple minutes to refresh before an entire evening of wining and dining the customers so decided to take turns to take 20 minute breaks to go back to their rooms. Anyway, when it was my Dad's turn, the boss came back to the hospitality suite and was furious that my Dad wasn't there. When my Dad returned, his boss chewed him out using all kinds of profanity, for having left the suite. My Dad explained, "Dave, everyone took 20 minutes but the suite was staffed the entire time by plenty of guys. I needed a fresh shave ... it's been a long day." His boss apologized, but my Dad decided in that moment to start looking for jobs. His reason, "anyone who would talk to me in that way under any circumstances does not have enough respect for me to support what I want to do in my career."

For your friend, too, the writing is on the wall and she should get out as soon as possible. They don't want her there... it's just hard to fire people.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Something everyone should keep in mind. Unless you have a contract or work under a group contract you are likely considered an "At will" employee and can be terminated without cause at any time. If your boss does not like you your choices are simple. #1 Find out how you can met his needs and make him happy. He determines your pay. #2 Seek employment elsewhere but do some soul seraching so the problem doesn't follow you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engineer in economics [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all, I am an engineering graduate and want to pursue M.Sc(Economics)... I have an interview lined up 4 that in a few days... Now one of d most imp ques in that interview would b "why economics after engineering" or " why do u think an engineer wud do well in economics" Or "what can u...

Retired Engineer :) [ 1 Answers ]

There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later the company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million...

Recording engineer [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to learn about audio engineering

Marine engineer license for a second engineer [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madom What is the Prossure in uptaining an second marine engineer license ,

View more questions Search