Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Junior GP Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Urinary Tract Infection
    I am a 15 year old boy and my doctor has diagnosed me with a bladder infection. He tried me on a 7 day course of 500mg Cefalexin antibiotics but they had no effect on the infection. Because of this, he ordered me to get an Kidney x-ray and a Cystoscopy. Both showed to be completely normal. I am not sexually active either. What could be causing this, I do get burning when I pass urine and sometimes I get burning and soreness in my anus. Both tests have showed no problems so why won't my infection go away and what is causing it??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
    I am not sure of the reason for this. But cephalexin should have cleared this up. It is a 1st generation Cephalosporin which is a common drug for UTIs.

Since it did not, the particular bacteria that you may have in your urine may be resistant to this drug. What you need is a C&S (Culture & Sensitivity) of your urine. This means that the doctor takes a sample of your urine and attempts to grow the bacteria that is present. He then will test which antibiotics work best on it, and which antibiotics are resistant.

I can't answer your question as to what is causing it, since I can't do that C&S, only your doctor can do that.
    Junior GP Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 06:42 AM
    I forgot to mention another problem which I am getting and I am wondering if it is related to my UTI. I sometimes get a burning sensation in my anus and I sometimes get a sore anus for days on end. What do you think this is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did my boyfriend get me a Urinary Tract Infection? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys.. well to start, I'm 15 years old. A few weeks ago I woke up and went to the bathroom and noticed I was urinating blood. I was freaking out so later that day I went to the doctors. They just said I had a simple bladder infection and gave me antibiotics. However, I guess I didn't make it...

Infection? [ 3 Answers ]

SEX I started seeing someone that I really like! We've moved into a sexual relationship! This is my FIRST real sexual relationship, but not his. It's been about three weeks and we've had sex at several times a week! Now I'm itching like crazy! It's not the whole area just the area around the...

Possible infection [ 2 Answers ]

I just noticed a whitehead of pus on one of my dog's nipples. Could it be serious?

Infection [ 3 Answers ]

If your Tongue ring gets infected, Can you die from it? OMG please tell me NO lol... I still want a tongue ring and I don't know how to tell my mom why i want one! i mean hello it is HOT hehe! help me out thanks!:p

View more questions Search