Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sungoddess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 03:36 PM
    Glands
    When is it considered necessary to remove a salivary gland?

My salivary gland is swollen and may have to be removed. Should I worry?
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
    I would say yes, the removal of any gland is serious. I would have to say, I did not know that this gland could be removed until you requested this information. If I was serious about this question I would want to find out more about the gland. Should you have this gland removed your physician should make that decision. And the decision should be made after the physician have given you a complete physical with the necessary tests to back up his/her findings.

The information that is collected is from the source represented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salivary_gland

“...The salivary glands are exocrine glands that produce saliva, which keeps the mouth and other parts of the digestive system moist. Saliva also helps break down carbohydrates (with salivary amylase, formerly known as ptyalin) and lubricates the passage of food down from the oropharynx to the stomach...”
    Disease: “...Salivary duct calculus may cause blockage of the ducts, causing pain and swelling of the gland. Tumors of the salivary glands may occur. These are usually benign, but may be malignant. The most common type of benign tumor is pleomorphic adenoma, followed by Warthin's tumor. The most common malignant tumor is mucoepidermoid carcinoma...”
    The information from these websites will give you more details about your situation:
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...9339/9658.html
    The information on this site is a photo of a salivary gland:
    http://learning.mgccc.cc.ms.us/science/cat/sld012.htm
    Hope you the best.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 05:11 PM
    This is great info. I am always cautious about Wikipedia in the medical field, as are my professors. I was told that it is better for definitions than actual information, medically. However, this one is right on point.

I am wondering why you may have to have it removed? Have all other treatments been exhausted?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 01:57 PM
    That is a really good question Luna. But I believe removal is usually more due to benign or melignant tumors. The tumors may have been caused by smoking, but it may also be genetic.

Up until this point we do not know if this person is a smoker or not.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 5, 2006, 02:17 PM
    Your are right, J-9... so let me ask sungoddess are you a smoker?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swollen Salivary Glands? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, This may sound silly. I have these two hard lumps directly under my jaw about the size of large marbles (peach pits, but rounder). They have been like that for at least 6 months. I have also had my sinuses draining down the back of my throat constantly for over a year. A few months ago...

Blocked hair glands? [ 2 Answers ]

I have tiny white bumps on my pubic hair. I'm a virgin. I read somewhere on the interent 1/3 of all guys have this condition. Will this disqualify me from joining the military? There not very noticeable

Physiological causes = the sebaceous glands do not [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have had dry hair since the age of about 13... recently I have been doing research to find a internal cause.. I was told that a Physiological causes = the sebaceous glands do not produce enough sebum... and that The secretions of the sebaceous glands are controlled by hormones circulating...

View more questions Search