Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    widowneedshelp Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
    In what order should I start defaulting, if it comes to that?
    My income has been cut nearly in half since Christmas, and I've been just hanging on, of course I have a car that I owe more on than it's worth, I believe that the sale of my home Might, maybe break even, and I have no credit card debt - although I still have a job, and things are looking better for the future, I wonder if it would be better for me to sell the car, take the hit and buy something cheaper, or should I sell the house and move to apartment closer to work (I commute 40 miles each way) - rent the house out and live in an apartment? - I'm really tired of just hanging on by a thread, and now I need new tires for the car, and my stove just died (electrical problem, I think), it's getting overwhelming - - I've already had the car company shuffle things around about 4 months ago, which saved me then, don't know if they'll do it again - or perhaps the mortgage company will shuffle things a bit, but I seem to be at the cross roads - - - any advise would be appreciated!! Thanks,
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 09:27 PM

First, I'm sorry you're in this situation. Things have been really tough on some people.

I don't feel totally qualified to answer this, but I just wanted to share a few thoughts and ideas. First the obvious, have you been looking for a better job? Yeah, yeah, we've got high unemployment... but never hurts to look.

Also, start paying really close attention to where your money is going. Even when you think there's just no place to save, sometimes there is. I've been there. And also just be a better shopper, remembering that little things can add up.

As for getting a cheaper car... that depends. I hate to see you take a hit like that when it might be a short-term temporary thing, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do. But, is a cheaper car actually cheaper? Look at the real expense of a car. You have your loan to pay, but also insurance (which could go down, something to think about), and also maintenance and repairs, which could go up. Cheaper can be something that's just smaller and less frills. Or cheaper can be older, meaning higher upkeep costs. Don't forget the gas mileage cause you've got a long commute. Keep in mind that you have to go cheaper just to get to the level of your current payments, and then go cheaper still to lower that. Also, if you don't keep the replacement for quite some time, you could end up taking another depreciation hit. Take all that into consideration.

As an added note... I was recently out car hunting. This might be just my area, but it seems people are keeping cars longer, trading them in less, and selling them themselves less. I had a hard time finding used ones from individuals - seemed like 95% of it was dealers. Given that they want to give you less for yours, and charge you more for the replacement, well... I think that's obvious.

As for the mortgage, will it hurt to try? I can't keep up with what the government's doing about mortgages and refi's these days, but don't forget to look into that. That's where I can't be any help. Hopefully someone else can tell you about that stuff, or Google it.

I would hate to see you have to sell. In my opinion, that should be a last resort if you just can't get it worked out. But again, sometimes you got to do what you got to do, but I hate to see that happen.

As for renting... do you know what you're getting into? First off, you better be able to come out ahead or it's not worth it. You'll still be paying your mortgage of course and will still have maintenance costs. You'll have to get the stove. So what you get in rent has to cover all that and the cost of the apartment, plus extra since that's the point. And don't forget those incidental costs like moving. And don't forget you're chancing your house to someone else. If your house is worth a decent amount of rent relative to a small apartment, you might be able to pull that off. (At least it's temporary that way.) Surely we have a landlording forum around here where you could ask more details?

That's the best I can contribute - and notice most of that is just about comparing costs of one thing to another, cause... well, that's what I do. :-) I'm sure there's a lot more out there someone else can post.

Try to hang in there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida law for defaulting [ 3 Answers ]

Can't pay my mortgage due to SSD. What are my options? I have PMI but I also have a HELOC? I have another property with my dghtr on the deed can they touch her home if I default or claim bankruptcy. Help!

Defaulting on a bank loan [ 1 Answers ]

7 years ago my boyfriend and I bought a boat. Quite expensive one, $32,000.00. We have been making payments of $339.00 a month. We owe $17,000.00 as of right now. The boat has not been started in five years because we both are disabled. Can we get out of the loan without ruining our credit? The...

Defaulting a contract for deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a home contract for deed 21 months ago. We knew the people selling it and let that cloud our judgement! We knew we were paying a premium for the home but only after talking to the neighbors did we consult a realtor and realize it was about 40,000. The purchase price was...

Defaulting on Ch 13 mortgage & cosigners [ 2 Answers ]

One year ago declared Ch 13. For past month have been unable to pay mortgage and have house on market. Cannot continue to make monthly mort while waiting for sale. Been told if it goes to foreclosure they would start bid at what is owed (approx 80k) real estate agent is asking 120 which is...

What order should I start tiling [ 1 Answers ]

What order is best to tile a bathroom shower stall and bathroom itself. I am tiling the ceiling in the shower stall. SHould it be floor then walls in the bathroom and ceiling then walls in the shower stall

View more questions Search