Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    widowneedshelp Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 04:21 AM
    Pruning a lilac?
    I have a lilac that the previous owners had neglected for a long time. The stock is about 6 inches in diameter, and is one very tall, spindly stick with a few branches (which are just wisps) and I get flowers on the top wisps. (about 20 feet up). It looks silly, and I'd like to have it bushy - should I cut it at the ground and see what grows up? I'd hate to kill it. When should I cut it, in the fall? Thanks for the help.:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 05:16 AM

Lilacs set their buds for the next year after the blooms have gone. So don't trim any branches off that have bud stocks on them. Lilac bushes are easy to ignore and neglect. I have done that too and just had to trim one back.

Take off branches on the bottom.

Tick
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jul 5, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by widowneedshelp View Post
    should I cut it at the ground and see what grows up?? I'd hate to kill it. When should I cut it, in the fall?? Thanx for the help.:confused:
    Hi! widowneedshelp,

That's a hefty specimen you have there! At least 20-25 years old. Mine are 30 and just 'bout as big as a wrist.

You can "cut it to the ground", every one I ever did came right back next year, but it took 'bout 3 before I saw blooms again.

Naaa... the only way to kill it is to dig it up.

Your major surgery can be done today. The only caveat I see, is if you are in an area that is or going to be HOT for a while.
    My suggestion would be to:
    • Use a chain or Bowsaw.
      Top lilac between your waist and shoulders...Why make it harder on you or the patient?
      Cut in a rounded top configuration...Like a parachute.
      Clean up the sides, and the wisps.
      If Hot and in direct sunlight cover, just over the top with burlap.
      Stand back with a kool-aid, or similar, and admire your handiwork. :cool:

It will still take to the second year to see well developed blooms.

Pruning should be done after the last bloom in the spring, any sooner and you risk a significant decrease in blooms... 0%

Something from my treasure chest o' marks.

Ask Me Help Desk - Search Results
    http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/lc/lilacs/lilacare.htm
    http://www.greatplants.com/care_guides/lilacs.html
    http://www.gardenweb.com/forums/load...338541557.html
    pruning a lilac? - Google Search

k

Hi! Tick... How's it goin'
    Would my pruning tip be correct? That's the way I was taught, and it would be before the next years buds set :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lilac Bushes [ 5 Answers ]

The lilac bushes in our yard stopped blooming about three years ago. Is there anything we can do to these bushes to revive them?

Another Myster Song: May Be Titles Lilac Season [ 2 Answers ]

Oops, I meant "Mingle." I had it under Jeff Buckley & Chris Cornell, but it isn't them, nor can I even find the song title or lyrics anywhere. Here's what I can hear (2:11): West Virginia, southern comfort I can see it in your eyes. Looks familiar, may I thrill you bittersweet if you don't...

Lavendar/lilac pima bath towel sets [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am looking for lavendar or lilac 100% pima bath towels sets and after going to 7 stores yesterday stuck out at all of them. Anyone have ideas for where to find these? Thank you!

Pruning Lavendar [ 3 Answers ]

In the spring, do I cut lavendar to the ground or is it an old growth plant?

View more questions Search