Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Laura Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Questions: (miscarriage, hcg level, duration of symptoms)
    I was diagnosed with a threatened miscarriage at 4 weeks 3 days. Went to the ER with spotting and cramping, cervix was closed, nothing on the ultrasound, and hcg level was 106. I continued to spot and cramp and the spotting got heavier but nothing more than what you would see with a light period. I had my blood drawn a few days later and hcg was 70. I just took a pregnancy test and the line was the darkest that it's ever been with the smallest amount of urine. Shouldn't the line be a lot lighter by now? Hcg was only 70 (eight days ago) so wouldn't the hcg would be almost gone by now... and wouldn't the line on the hpt be a lot lighter by now? I am also still having a few pregnancy symptoms as well. Can someone shed some light on this? Is it safe to say that I have definitely miscarried?
    Thanks in advance.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 10:53 PM

Did you have a follow up ultrasound. The numbers of hcg levels being so low like that are not a good sign. Have you noticed any kind of discharge?

Please seek more advice and checkups through your doctor or emergency care.

If you did miscarriage I am so sorry for your loss, but I hope you know that doctors should be there to help and support you. As well as any very close family or friends.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 02:59 AM

There is such a wide range of what is considered normal with hcg levels in the early weeks of pregnancy, I wouldn't go by that alone. It is not uncommon to still have a high enough level to show positive on a pregnancy test for a few weeks after a possible miscarraige.

As Jesushelper76 said, check with your doctor about having a repeat ultrasound and blood draw. If you did indeed have a miscarriage they will want to make sure it was complete.

Hoping for the best... keep us posted.
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 16, 2009, 01:32 PM

If your HCG is going down and not doubling every day that is a sign that you are probably in the middle of a mc if it is just really low then it's possbile that you already had a mc and you need a D&C
    mars1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 10:17 AM
    I just had a miscarriage at about 11 weeks, but the baby stopped growing at 6. It took about 3 days of period-like bleeding, then an awful day of horrible bleeding and cramps. The nest day I went to the doctor, who cleaned some remaining stuff. I would never do it at home ever again, the pain is not worth it. A D&C should be much easier.
    Now I'm just bleeding lightly, but you can work during this. However, it all depends on your body. This is my first, very traumatic. I was so excited about being pregnant, I even created a funny website www.pregnantandfunny.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Threatened miscarriage or misdiagnosed miscarriage? [ 3 Answers ]

I've just recently found out I was pregnant, my period was NOT late yet, but I had light spotting and had high hopes so I took a cheap hpt and it showed up positive(My LMP was 10/20/08). The following day I went to the woman's clinic, I was confirmed pregnant. My OBGYN sent me to a lab for blood...

Symptoms of miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 23 and have been having sexual intercourse with my partner for about 8 months. We discovered several months down the line, he has an allergy to latex. Therefore with the doctors, family planning clinic etc I am on the pill (as my only form on contraception) I am aware of the consquences but do...

Miscarriage - HCG level will going up after dropped? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a hcg blood test on 3.3.08, and followed another hcg blood test on 3.6.08. My result are 80,000 dropped 65,000. My doc said I have miscarriage. But I still haven't give up yet... :( Anyone know hcg level will going up again to save the miscarriage in any chance? Now I just waiting for...

View more questions Search