Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becky_260292 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Is it normal when on my period to have dark brown blood and smells?
    I'm 16 and been on my period for about 3 years now and always come on the first week of every month and also have a kind of dark coloured red but for the past 3 time of been on it has been a really dark brown and it smells. I am sexualy active and have been for about 2 years. I'm starting to get woried and I was wordering if anyone can help me.
    worriedmichelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I'm sexual active as well and I am on the pill and just this past weekend got my period and it was dark brown as well... I'm worried too. I have never had this before. I'm 20.. so I've had my period for quite a while now.

Help anyone?
    ScaredSilly01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
    I am 17 years old and having the same problems, I just started birth control like 3 days ago so maybe that's why? But before starting birth control I was having really bad cramps in my lower stomach, I've been getting sick for the past 3 days, I constantly have nose bleeds, and a runny nose. I use the bathroom a lot, could I be pregnant? I think I might be, but I'm on my period it's been like 4 days since I last had sex. My period blood is dark brown and has an odor to it, this isn't normal usually it looks like blood and doesn't smell. I don't know what's going on, can anyone help?
    Everyonewantstoknow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
    Your not pregnante all periods smell bad because blood stinks but the brown color to it is normal some times it means that your ready to get of your period and some times you get it before your next one because your body is getting rid of older period blood
    Everyonewantstoknow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Yes, Absolutely because the dark brown blood is natures way of getting rid of older blood from your periods you also might be mistaking because some times that is red blood but it's so much of it it looks dark. And the smell is normal to because blood stinks it's not a plesent secent that's why they make pads that have an oder blocking secent so if it the smell that's making you mad (and trust me I know) you should try the Oder blocking pads and when your in the shower or tub be sure that you wash your privite part REALLY WELL!
    mrs_s Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 03:37 AM
    I'm 21 and I've always had the normal red blood period every monthly Thursday hours but this month I had forgotten to take some of my pills. And I had a period on Friday and instead of red blood I'm still having brown and dark red blood. I don't now what this is beacause its not normal for me. Help??
    mrs_s Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 03:37 AM
    I'm 21 and I've always had the normal red blood period every monthly Thursday hours but this month I had forgotten to take some of my pills. And I had a period on Friday and instead of red blood I'm still having brown and dark red blood. I don't now what this is beacause its not normal for me. Help??
    shade3shades Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 12:44 PM

Its all normal. Brown spots are part of period cycle.
    HannahAllyx Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
    I'm 15 years old, I've been on my period for about a year and a abit now, I have never had sex or taken any form of contraceptive. I've always had really heavy periods but in the past 2 cycles, the blood seems to be brown, even when I'm fully on. Please help, I am really worried x
    wayman18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 10:47 PM
    I just lost my virginity... on the 25th of November, we didn't use protection, and I was really scared that I could be pregnant even though he didn't *** inside, but there was precum. So I finally got my period, I'm cramping and everything, and at first it was red, but now the color is brown.. like really dark brown and its thick.. what does that mean?
    RubberDuckie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Im only 14 and I've haven't been sexually active before but My period always starts dark brown, every time I get my period. Is that normal??
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuckie View Post
    Im only 14 and i've haven't been sexually active before but My period always starts out dark brown, every time I get my period. Is that normal???
    Yes, this can be very common. Some women will have a brown discharge as their period starts, some as it ends, some at both times.
    tessalove Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 12:06 AM
    I'm having the same problem right now. I think this is a bacteria. Here is a link I found helpful: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Foul-menstrual-blood-odor/show/238447
    I'm going to see the doctor hopefully tomorrow. I will let you all know what he says.

Note: if you are having this problem you should go to a clinic or see a doctor right away.
    Forums like this provide useful knowledge but they cannot diagnose or treat you.

Jan 27, 2011, 12:07 AM
    I'm having the same problem right now. I think this is a bacteria. Here is a link I found helpful: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Foul-menstrual-blood-odor/show/238447
    I'm going to see the doctor hopefully tomorrow. I will let you all know what he says.

Note: if you are having this problem you should go to a clinic or see a doctor right away.
    Forums like this provide useful knowledge but they cannot diagnose or treat you.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tessalove View Post
    I'm having the same problem right now. I think this is a bacteria. Here is a link I found helpful: Foul menstrual blood odor - Women's Health - MedHelp

It is important to note that the OP, who's post is from 2008, and the most recent post from Rubberduckie are not likely the same issues.

Hope all is well tessalove!

Jan 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
    The doctor told me I do have bacterial vaginosis. I'm now on an antibiotic, a generic kind, but it is substituted for Flagyl. It does not negate birth control when taken.
    I know all of this because my grandpa is an Ob/Gyn, but I may not have all the information you need. Best to see an actual doctor.
    Here is a good site to look at if you believe you have this infection:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/bacterial_vaginosis/article.htm

Note: Do not self-diagnose. See a doctor before Doing or Assuming anything.
    sometimes_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 11:37 PM
    I'm 16 and I just became sexually active.. and I also just started birth control like 3 weeks ago and I have brown blood too but its not my period yet? I was told that there might be a little spotting but I'm getting it almost every day is that bad?? Oh also its not related but is it normal for my pee to smell weird when I'm on birth control?? :/
    hollii3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
    The pains etc could be where you have lost your vaginity because that happened to me and sometimes I still get the cramps after sex sometimes and all that is , is that it is old blood and you are coming up to your period or coming to the end x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal for your period blood to be brown on the first [ 60 Answers ]

I just got my periodtoday and the blood is brown and I don't even need to use a pad or tampon just a panty liner is this normal?:confused:

Brown(old blood) vaginal discharge - chlamydia?other illness?normal after pill? [ 5 Answers ]

First of all thank you so much for this site.Really, I need help. I am almost 18years old and have been sexually active with my boyfriend(18years old) for about 6months now(he is the first guy I have ever had any tipe of sexual relations with). We always used a condom but one time the condom...

Bleeding Dark Brown Blood [ 9 Answers ]

Just Found Out Am Pregnant And Been Bleeding Since Oct. 15 Only When I Urine And During Bowel Movement And Sometimes Need To Wear A Tampon What Does This Mean?? Help Please Is It A Miscarige Or Implatation Bleeding

Brown 'blood' during my menstrual cycle; is this normal? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm curious about why I would have this brown 'stuff' during my period? I normally bleed at the same time and everything. M also on birth control for what they said is endo. But I've also had problems with pressure during the month that I went to see my doctor with and he said that basically I...

View more questions Search