Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sexsichiquita Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Dark brown discharge
    k... I started this new birth control called the nuva ring... it really easy and comfotable. The thing is that I am not supposed to get my period for another couple of weeks.. and I started getting dark brown discharge:eek: . So much that I need to use tampons.. its been going on for 5 dayz... I am wondering if it could be my body reacting to the new birth control or what?. I'm not sure but if anyone knows pleaseeeeeeeeseeee lend your feeedback!:o
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Various types of birth control can often cause spotting or brown discharge, I've had this happen to myself lots. It's usually harmless and will go away after a while, but if you're having to use tampons that sounds like quite a bit of spotting. Either way, you should consult with the doctor or health nurse that gave you the birth control, to see what's going on and make sure it's not a serious side effect.
    sexsichiquita Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Thank u... just hearing that from someone eases me a bit... il check out my doctor for sure! Great illustrations!
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 09:17 AM
    I'm so glad you're going to the doctor! Thanks for the compliment on the illustrations, too! :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 05:11 PM
    TMIGHTY agrees: well, I have been having brownish color, and no period, but I haven't been on any pills before, never. This all started since last year. I went to check if I was pregnant, but I am not, infections, I have none, went this morning to have a blood test.
    The brownish discharge is old blood, and my doctor has told me it's usually just the leftover lining from the last period, and looks brownish because it's so old. It can occur in any woman, but it and other spotting seems to be more common in women who take birth control. It is always a very good idea to go to the doctor though and have tests, to rule out any problems.
    4ofus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 07:14 AM
    If all else fails, call your doctor! Hopefully you have a good relationship with your doctor and can ask questions freely! You Dr should know something about the various side effects with each BC, its pretty normal to have a little discharge when starting a new BC. Ihave used the Nuvaring for 3 yrs and I love it! Best thing ever! And my Dr even told me that you can leave it in for 4 weeks, then take it out for the week for a period, or just put another right back in! No period! She said this will not cause any probs, that she does it herself!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown discharge - what is going on now? - please help [ 4 Answers ]

I have been off the pill since Aug last year. In November my period was a week late but nothing came of it just lots of stress. I Know I have been really anxious because my friends who weren't even trying are now pregnant. I have been under a lot of stress because we have just bought a house & the...

Brown Discharge [ 3 Answers ]

We are trying to conceive, have been for the last 7 months. I usually have a 28-30 day cycle, this month 13 days after my period I started to have a dark brown discharge with small to medium size clots, no cramping. It continued for 6 days. Should I be concerned? Is this break through bleeding? And...

Brown discharge and no period? [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: Hey, I was hoping someone could help me. It's about my period, or should I say my non-existent period. My last period was in May about 7 weeks ago (from the last day) and I'm about 3 weeks late. I've been late before, but this time it's different. A few days ago I thought I had gotten...

Brown discharge, please help me. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 18 and last week my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time. Well, this was the very first time for me. And the last two times we've had sex, I would look down on the sheets and there would be this brown stain from me. I thought I had gotten my period the first time it happened and then it...

Brown Discharge? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having brown discharge or spotting for a few weeks now. I have taken a pregnancy test twice and both times negative. I am on the pill as well. What could it be?

View more questions Search