Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    widowneedshelp Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 10:16 PM
    I have no water coming from hot water faucet?
    As I left for work today, the water company was working in the neighborhood, and my water was turned off. Now I am home from work, the water sputtered a bit and the cold water is fine - - there is no hot water - - no water at all from any hot water faucet.
    Should I be flipping off the breaker? I don't want to burn out the heater, if it's not already burnt - - and whose fault would that be?? I wasn't even here! What do I need to do NOW? And what do I need to do in the AM?? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Should I be flipping off the breaker? I don't want to burn out the heater, if it's not already burnt - - and whose fault would that be?? I wasn't even here! What do I need to do NOW? And what do I need to do in the AM?? Thanks.
    Put your mind at ease. The heater will be fine. And I think it might just be coincidences that your hot water faucets clogged up at the same time your water was turned off. That usually effects cold water and not the hot side. I think that minerals built up in you heater got sucked up in your hot water system into your faucets. Are all hot water faucets affected or just a few? The solution is to, first, flush the heater and get the minerals out of there. Let me show you how.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. If you need assistance getting into the faucets to clean the inlet ports on the cartridges I will need the brand name of every valve that's clogged Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water barely coming out of shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. We have a shower and it is a one lever shower faucet. When I turn on the cold water comes out fine but when I turn it to hot the water is barely a trickle does not come out. I also have sink in the bathroom and the hot water is working fine. How do I get the fixture off - there...

Hot Water coming out of Cold Faucet [ 11 Answers ]

I just had my gas water heater replaced. Ever since the replacement, when I turn on the cold tap on any faucet in my house, it runs cold for about 15 seconds, then hot water starts coming out. The hot water keeps getting hotter and runs for about 30 seconds, then cools off and goes back to cold. ...

Why no hot water coming from kitchen faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have hot water coming from all fucets and washer except for the kitchen sink. I do have cold water coming from kitchen sink though, just not hot water

No Water Coming Out of Faucet [ 4 Answers ]

My husband turned off the water in the kitchen to work on our hot water heater. When he turned the water back on in the whole house, the kitchen no longer had running water. There is water in the bathroom and to the utility room for the washer machine but none to the kitchen faucet. We've turned...

Hot water coming out of shower faucet by itself [ 1 Answers ]

I woke up to hot water running in my bathroom tub. Turning the faucet on and off did nothing to stop it. It was not running "full blast" but was a steady stream. The only way to stop it was to turn off the hot water tank. What would cause this? A malfunction in the faucet or is something else...

View more questions Search