Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan's Avatar
    NorPlan Posts: 417, Reputation: 3
    Full Member
     
    #1

    Oct 16, 2014, 09:33 AM
    HiSpeed DSL Wireless / Best Location for Modem?
    Have been going through a spat of Weak Signal in the House , if one hovers over the Modem fine.. We have a Wireless Modem for the Phone Line as well.. Our home is Matchbox Style, the main Internet Modem HiSpeed DSL is located in the Basement and the Modem for the House Phone is at the top of the Stairs on the main level by the Backyard Patio Doors.. The Printer is located beside the ISP Modem.. Would we be better to Relocate the Modem Upstairs?
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Oct 16, 2014, 09:46 AM
    The location closest to the center of the area you would use it the most. You want the signal passing though as few walls and floors as possible.

    There are good signal strength apps for Android for free if you have a Android tablet or phone you can use to place the router in the best location.
    NorPlan's Avatar
    NorPlan Posts: 417, Reputation: 3
    Full Member
     
    #3

    Oct 16, 2014, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    The location closest to the center of the area you would use it the most. You want the signal passing though as few walls and floors as possible.

    There are good signal strength apps for Android for free if you have a Android tablet or phone you can use to place the router in the best location.

    @ smoothy, Thanks for the Comeback... Not on top of each other but a separate wall plug and half wall between them.. Would there be Interference being say 4ft. Apart between the WiFi Home Phone modem and the ISP WiFi Modem? ����
    CravenMorhead's Avatar
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert
     
    #4

    Oct 16, 2014, 02:37 PM
    Also, log into your wi-fi router and make sure that your signal output is at max. Sometimes it is adjustable and sometimes it isn't at max.
    Scleros's Avatar
    Scleros Posts: 2,166, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert
     
    #5

    Jan 10, 2015, 02:47 AM
    Are there signal strength problems if one or the other of the devices is turned off?

    Using multiple WiFi devices that use the same frequency range may require configuring the devices to use different channels to avoid interference for optimal performance. Many devices default to a "strongest signal/least interference" tactic for automatic channel selection. This can result in constant channel hopping in a dynamic environment as each device searches for a better channel when interference is encountered. The 802.11b,g frequency range has three non-overlapping channels - 1, 6, and 11. If the devices use this range, one thing to try is manually configuring each device to use a different one of these channels. Or, if the devices support it, one could be configured to use a different band altogether such as 802.11n-5GHz or 802.11a.

    Increasing the power may increase signal strength as long there is no interference, otherwise the interference will increase as well. To reduce interference, power can be set to the minimum necessary to provide adequate coverage for the desired area and no more, otherwise in a crowded RF environment, all the devices will be essentially screaming at max power to be heard over every other device. If they all whispered none would have the range to interfere with the others. Less power also makes unauthorized access more difficult if the signal range doesn't extend beyond the exterior walls.
    NorPlan's Avatar
    NorPlan Posts: 417, Reputation: 3
    Full Member
     
    #6

    Jan 10, 2015, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Are there signal strength problems if one or the other of the devices is turned off?

    Using multiple WiFi devices that use the same frequency range may require configuring the devices to use different channels to avoid interference for optimal performance. Many devices default to a "strongest signal/least interference" tactic for automatic channel selection. This can result in constant channel hopping in a dynamic environment as each device searches for a better channel when interference is encountered. The 802.11b,g frequency range has three non-overlapping channels - 1, 6, and 11. If the devices use this range, one thing to try is manually configuring each device to use a different one of these channels. Or, if the devices support it, one could be configured to use a different band altogether such as 802.11n-5GHz or 802.11a.

    Increasing the power may increase signal strength as long there is no interference, otherwise the interference will increase as well. To reduce interference, power can be set to the minimum necessary to provide adequate coverage for the desired area and no more, otherwise in a crowded RF environment, all the devices will be essentially screaming at max power to be heard over every other device. If they all whispered none would have the range to interfere with the others. Less power also makes unauthorized access more difficult if the signal range doesn't extend beyond the exterior walls.
    Thanks for the Comeback... We Fiddled, Faddled & Farted around with it and Discovered the Bell Modem was Whankers... Had it Changed Out and All is Good.. Cheers...
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #7

    Jan 10, 2015, 09:34 AM
    I got rid of my Bell modem years ago. So much for mucking around with bell. Now i have a different one, and wifi high speed, and it doesnt matter what the provider promises, they are all susceptible to where you have them located. My new one is located at the corner junction of a room with two outside walls. You would think that would be better, but have to reboot it every once in a while.

    It is so bloody irriating when you lose your service !
    NorPlan's Avatar
    NorPlan Posts: 417, Reputation: 3
    Full Member
     
    #8

    Jan 10, 2015, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I got rid of my Bell modem years ago. So much for mucking around with bell.

    Haven't had any problems with Bell, Touch Wood.. Rural Setting here , all the other alternatives provide Internet via Satellite.. We have Unlimited HiSpeed DSL @ an affordable price, far less than Shaw or Xplornet charge monthly.. Line of Sight is an overriding factor to get a Signal, we have Bush all around us.. I'd hate to back to the Ice Age and obtain Dial Up through Netscape... lol...
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #9

    Jan 10, 2015, 12:11 PM
    I have cogeco as provider, and I pay $40 a month for wifi high speed internet. I am semi rural as well, but in a small town. I am glad you got yours settled, but I hate Bell for anything. My cell phone is through Telus, so that says a lot !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

No dial tone on home phones when dsl high speed modem and wireless router is on [ 2 Answers ]

Using D-Link wireless router as gateway. My DSL modem connects to the wireless router I can get only dial tone and receive and make calls from my HP All-In-One Fax/Phone system when turned on. It is connected via a phone jack spliter that my DSL modem is attached to.

Connect DSL modem to a lynkys Wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I have an internet connection through a verizon DSL modem and I would like to connect the DSL modem to a lynkys wireless router for my home network.Please could you help me to do the connection Thanks

Changing from a Sagem ADSL Modem to a Wireless Speedtouch DSL Router [ 1 Answers ]

I am running windows XP SP3 using a Sagem ADSL modem.I now wish to run with a wireless Speedtouch DSL and eventually network a laptop. My problem starts when I try to load the software for the router.A popup box tells me the software is not compatible with SP3 and I am led to believe that once...

Wireless modem was cable is now dsl. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a netgear WGR614 wirless router. When I bought it I had cable internet. Now I have DSL. The router will not connect. The DSL modem was programmed and connected through my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. I have a Dell desktop unit also. Both computers run VISTA. I want the desktop to be...

Actiontec GT701-wg Wireless DSL modem [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to inactivate the router in the Actiontec router/modem that came with my Quest DSL service. I believe that this is necessary in order to set up an Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless base station. Can anybody help me with this situation. Thank you. Michael


View more questions Search