Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bettyanne's Avatar
    Bettyanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Jan 15, 2013, 07:54 PM
    Is this wine toxic?
    My husband made a batch of red wine about 10 years ago from a wine making store, not at home. I have just uncovered a small bottle unopened, filled to top of bottle. It has been stored in a cold room, but somehow got moved to our bar in rec. room. Do you think it's safe to drink? I did taste and smelled it, both seemed OK, but I am afraid of poisoning. What are your thoughts?
    Abby24315's Avatar
    Abby24315 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #2

    Jan 15, 2013, 09:53 PM
    I wouldn't because it could definitely have gone bad. A cheese ages but after a while, it gets moldy good luck!
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #3

    Jan 15, 2013, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby24315 View Post
    I wouldnt because it could definetly have gone bad. a cheese ages but after a while, it gets moldy good luck!
    I have to ask, how does an 11 year old child, such as yourself, gain knowledge about wine? I'd really like to see the research you did in order to answer this question. Or did you just guess?
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #4

    Jan 15, 2013, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I have to ask, how does an 11 year old child, such as yourself, gain knowledge about wine? I'd really like to see the research you did in order to answer this question. Or did you just guess?
    And I just told her to stop giving advice to married people!
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #5

    Jan 15, 2013, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    And I just told her to stop giving advice to married people!
    I saw that post, it's been deleted.

    Someone is going to have to monitor her and make sure she doesn't post on adult boards. She's far to young to be giving this sort of advice. People come here to get advice from experts, not 11 year old children.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #6

    Jan 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I saw that post, it's been deleted.

    Someone is going to have to monitor her and make sure she doesn't post on adult boards. She's far to young to be giving this sort of advice. People come here to get advice from experts, not 11 year old children.
    I'll keep an eye out when I'm on.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #7

    Jan 15, 2013, 10:04 PM
    I did report her post, so hopefully the mods are on it. :)

    Now, before we hijack this OP's thread.

    To the OP (original poster) was the wine corked, or was it a screw on cap?

    How was the wine stored? Laying down, or standing up?
    jbhl's Avatar
    jbhl Posts: 55, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member
     
    #8

    Jan 16, 2013, 01:35 AM
    Hello! I'm a microbiologist, to be general haha

    Here are things you ought to remember... Wine and cheese do indeed age HOWEVER only in the right conditions. The humidity, light exposure, air exposure, whether since it's been bottled (I'm hoping by a professional so that airborne bacteria cannot fly into the bottle). Once you change the optimum conditions for a wine or cheese both of which are expected to age at certain conditions (you see mold and yeast are both fungi, the only difference where the airborne fungi can become yeast or mold is temperature! ONLY reason! Yeast at body temperature, mold at room temperature).

    That considering... as long as it was bottled in a professional and CLEAN environment (in science words we'd say ASEPTIC) then it should be safe to drink. Any exposure to air by an amateur and I'd suggest not drinking decade old wine. Air is filthy.
    jbhl's Avatar
    jbhl Posts: 55, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member
     
    #9

    Jan 16, 2013, 01:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhl View Post
    Hello! I'm a microbiologist, to be general haha

    Here are things you ought to remember....Wine and cheese do indeed age HOWEVER only in the right conditions. The humidity, light exposure, air exposure, whether or not since it's been bottled (I'm hoping by a professional so that airborne bacteria cannot fly into the bottle). Once you change the optimum conditions for a wine or cheese both of which are expected to age at certain conditions (you see mold and yeast are both fungi, the only difference where the airborne fungi can become yeast or mold is temperature! ONLY reason! yeast at body temperature, mold at room temperature).

    That considering....as long as it was bottled in a professional and CLEAN environment (in science words we'd say ASEPTIC) then it should be safe to drink. Any exposure to air by an amateur and I'd suggest not drinking decade old wine. Air is filthy.
    Didn't even finish my sentence regarding condition changes -_-. Once you change the optimum conditions for wine and cheese and things like that, they start to go bad.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646
    Expert
     
    #10

    Jan 16, 2013, 01:42 AM
    This has been moved to the Wine category for our resident wine expert to respond.
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 18,505, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan
     
    #11

    Jan 16, 2013, 02:03 AM
    is this wine toxic? - NO, might taste unpleasant, as in way passed it's best or drinkability, but won't actually do you any physical harm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search


Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

I'm in a toxic household, what do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

For about 5 years now, my dad has been the most awful person I've ever known. He's misogynistic, racist, judgmental, a hypocrite, stubborn, will never admit he's wrong, blames all his shortcomings on others and I'm pretty sure he's a hypochondriac. He's always tearing me down and not only has he...

Transferring room temperature wine to wine fridge [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a proper procedure for transferring wine that has been stored at room temperature to a wine fridge? Does it need to be a step by step process in lowering the temp. of the wine till it reaches the optimum storage temperature?

Redistribution/re-sale of wine or fortified wine [ 4 Answers ]

If I wanted to charge a fee for private wine tastings in people's home (people of legal drinking age) in the state of Texas and Louisiana, (a) do I need a special license or permit to charge a fee for the wine tasting? And (b) if I want to sell them contingency bottles of wine (1 of each type of...


View more questions Search