Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mddorogi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2005, 09:09 PM
    Bypassing water heater
    I have a question about what the proper method for bypassing (shutting down) a water heater is.

In solar hot water systems, a solar storage tank holds water heated by the sun. This water is fed into the existing hot water heater. Usually there is a three valve bypass so that when there is enough solar heated water to meet all the household needs, the water heater can by bypassed and turned off, so standby losses are eliminated.

Ideally when you shut down the water heater, you would drain it, I suppose. But since you never know if you'll run into a stretch of cloudy weather, I usually do NOT drain it.

This means that you have hot water in the water heater that cools off, thereby decreasing in volume, resulting in some vacuum in the water heater. People have told me that a tank could collapse under conditions like this. Also, if you leave the water sitting in it for months, there could be buildup of bacteria.

I usually have my water heater (actually a Lennox Completeheat boiler) turned off from April into October. I don't drain it, and I just open the valves and fire it up when the time comes. There is some noise when I open the valves, but it doesn't seem too violent. And we've never gotten sick...

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on this!

Thanks,

Mark
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2005, 09:23 PM
    Likely the tank is well able to stand any vacuum that develops from the water cooling. Water will vaporize to fill the volume. Be careful about allowing a sealed tank of water heat up. That can generate more pressure than any tank can stand. Pressure relief valves are required on hot water tanks. It would be easier on the tank to vent it to the atmosphere. A simple tee and valve would do. If you drain the tank, likely there will be a little water left in it. Could be a worse place for bacteria to grow than a full tank. Maybe the best thing would be to turn the power or gas off and let the hot water circulate through the tank.
    mddorogi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Bypassing water heater
    Thanks. I agree that powering down the tank and just letting the solar heated water pass through it would eliminate my concerns. The downside is that there are extra heat losses from the water heater (which is not insulated as well as my 210 gallons of solar storage) and probably some extra lag in getting hot water. In the end, all of these concerns are probably minor.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hot Water Boiler and hot water heater that are constantly going out (pilots) They are both natural gas and use the same chimney from the basement. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sometimes wind is a factor other times it is not.

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

View more questions Search