Ask
    letty88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2010, 10:58 PM
    How bad is it to drink castor oil
    How bad is it to drink castor oil to induce labor at 40 weeks
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 07:04 PM

This is one of those hotly debated topics in regard to inducing labor. I know some women who, upon the recommendation of their care provider, found it very effective for them... and others who were pretty miserable with cramps and time on the toilet with nothing to show for it. There is also some thought that there could be a possibility of some babies releasing meconimum into the amniotic fluid due to the increased uterine activity.

Is there a particular reason you are considering it? Are you facing the prospect of a medical induction soon? What number pregnancy is this? If a first pregnancy it is important to keep in mind that it is very common to go a bit longer than the due date. Some people believe an additional week should actually be added to the due date for first pregnancies.

There are some other ways that may help get things going that are not as invasive as the castor oil. Certainly do some research and talk to your care provider about the various ways to see if you would be a good candidate to give them a try.
    lickemlolly Posts: 397, Reputation: 62

Aug 8, 2010, 05:43 AM
    I will speak from personal experience and I agree its been a big debate.. it has a different effect on different women.. I was so miserable with my daughters pregnancy at the end and in so much pain the doctors started talking about inducing me.. she sat so low in my pelvis that I couldn't get out of my bed without help because it hurt so bad.. so I did take castor oil... 2 tablespoons to be exact... layed down and went to bed that night and I was in labor several hours later.. she came very quickly... its a hit or miss kind of thing... its not promised to work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the risk of drinking castor oil while pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

What are the risk of my drinking castor oil?

39-40 weeks pregnant. Is castor oil safe [ 3 Answers ]

Going by the date of my last period I'm 40 weeks pregnant, by the doctors I'm 39. Is castor oil safe to take if so how much? Can it harm the baby?

Castor oil weight loss [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I wanted to know if castor oil will help me lose some weight as I have read that drinking castor oil acts like a laxative? Please advise.

View more questions Search