Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RoisinDubh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Converting J, calories, Calories, and KJ
    1.) How much heat is absorbed when 132.2g of water is heated from 12.0 degrees Celsius to 85.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and kilojoules.
    2.) Specific Heat for water is 4.18 J/g Celsius degrees. How much heat is absorbed when 16.8g of water is heated from 3.0 degrees Celsius to 99.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and calorie.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 11:46 AM

To convert from Joules to Calories use "dimensional analysis":

Note how Joules cancels out. The conversions are similar for the other problems.

As for the actual conversion factor, Let me google that for you

1.) How much heat is absorbed when 132.2g of water is heated from 12.0 degrees Celsius to 85.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and kilojoules.
    When water is heated from 12 to 85 degrees C, the temperature change is (85-12)=73 C. The specific heat of water is 1 cal/(gram C). There are no phase changes (solid to liquid or liquid to gas) in this temperature region, so you don't have to add the latent heat of vaporization or the latent heat of fusion.

So

Note how the Celsius (degrees Celsius) and the grams cancel, leaving calories.

2.) Specific Heat for water is 4.18 J/g Celsius degrees. How much heat is absorbed when 16.8g of water is heated from 3.0 degrees Celsius to 99.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and calorie.
    Here the specifie heat is given in J/(g C). The problem is the same. ∆T = (99-3)=96 Celsius. The weight of water is given as 16.8 grams.

Keeney32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 10:56 AM
    How to convert kJ to calories

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

500 Calories a day [ 21 Answers ]

Is 500 calories a day for about a week OK? Then I'll switch to 1200 calories a day after a week?

How many more calories? [ 7 Answers ]

For significant weight loss, how many more calories should one burn in a day more than they take in?

How many calories do I need? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 27 year-old female, 5' 7" and weigh 134 pounds. I have worked out off and on for a while, but recently I started exercising for 1 hour every day. My routine is as follows: I run a 10 minute mile for 30 minutes on the treadmill OR do the stair machine (actual stairs, not stairmaster)...

Calories [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website where you can give them your intake of daily foods and work out your calories.

View more questions Search