Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jade_nelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 10:36 AM
    My puppie bite everyone that walks in the door
    How can I stop my puppie she is 10 weeks old and she bites people all the time ?
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Jul 30, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jade_nelson
    how can i stop my puppie she is 10 weeks old and she bites people all the time ?
    Is she play biting or aggressive biting? If it's play biting, then she is probably starting to teeth. Try some toys that go in the freezer that she can chew on; the coolness soothes their gums. Also maybe some tug toys to play with her. She's still very young, but she'll learn 'no' quickly. Tell her no when she bites someon and be firm. Reward her with affection and her favorite toy when she does not bite someone when they walk in.
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jul 30, 2007, 06:04 PM
    This could turn into a bad habit for a dog. When people come over and your puppy tires to bite them try to startle her by clapping or making a loud sound, this will distract her and teach her that if she doesn't want to be scared by a loud sound then she should not bite. I saw this method used on one of those dog training shows, and it did work. Continue this and eventually she'll get it. If she doesn't I would seek advice from a professional.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about
    Biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting
    Another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months
    They are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking
    Moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another
    Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find
    One that won't yelp and jerk their hand away, or growl "Bad dog." and clamp
    Their mouth shut. Then offer a chew toy. They keep trying despite hundreds
    Of corrections. Another good technique is to yell ouch and quit playing and go away. Be
    Sure to praise them when they are playing nice and not biting.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.
    Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.
    Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs.

There is absolutely no reason to seek professional advice with this common problem. You just have to keep at it. It has worked for us for 17 puppies, and hundreds more for our friends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is getting fat but I can't take him for walks! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a puppy about 12 months old. His name is Cody and he's a mix. I want to take him for walks but he scratches when I put on his harness. What do I do! :confused:

Puppy walks behind me [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 13 week old sheltie puppy. He walks along great on the leash. However, he walks behind me instead of beside or in front of me. I am uncomfortable with this, I want him where I can keep an eye on him. This is a new behavior to me. A pulling dog I know how to deal with, but how do I convince...

Poor puppie:( [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 week old pomeranian puppy who's has a loss of appetite, foams at the mouth at times, has milky eyes, and can hardly support his weight, what's wrong with him?:confused: :(

Dog walks in his own poop? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 5 month old Boston Terrier. We leave him in the kitchen while we are at work, which is a pretty big area for the little guy. However, when we come home in the evening he has resorted to shredding his potty pad, walking in his own poop, and peeing in his bed. We are baffled. We know...

View more questions Search