Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpkc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
    1960's house basement drain (s)
    I have a 1960's (early) home with an unfinished, utility/storm basement which is 10' x 20'. I have owned the house for 8 months, and had a home inspection that did not find any problems with the plumbing. The water heater is located there as well as a furnace. There are two holes in the concrete floor, one has a float/ball valve in it. Where the furnace hoses run to. The other one is about 1 ft. up the grade and seems to hold water down about two inches from the cover/grate.
    I have noticed a foul smell at times and recently after a large rain had an inch or so of water covering the floor.The water dissipated after about 4 hrs. and having a plumber snake the outside clean-out to the manhole 150' away.
    The Plumber did not know what the second drain in the floor was for, and said I could fill it in with cement.
    I started to get the water out with a sponge and small cup, took out a gallon and the water level did not change.
    I then noticed a 3-4 inch pipe on each side of the standing water in the middle, like it was cut out or something.
    I then had my wife flush the nearest toilet (upstairs) and I noticed the water level rise, or flow through the gap between the pipes or what looks to be a piece of pipe missing.
    Is this some sort of vent that is allowing gases into the basement?

jp
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2007, 07:13 AM
    "I then had my wife flush the nearest toilet (upstairs) and I noticed the water level rise, or flow thru the the gap between the pipes or what looks to be a piece of pipe missing."
    Have your wife flush down some toilet paper. This will tell you if you have a open sewer main in your basement. The hole with a float switch is a sump. Where's the sump pump? The other hole's somehow connected to the sewer line and until I found out more about it I wouldn't be filling anything with cement. My biggest concern would be to find out where the connection is that allows water to enter the hole when the toilet's flushed. Please let me know what you find out. Good luck, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2007, 12:12 PM
    ). The Ask Me Help Desk owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents
    Of the email.

To email jpkc, you can use this online form:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/sendme...ember&u=128760

OR, by email:
    Mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Thank you for your response. I have tried the test of having the wife flush the
    Toilet paper. I saw no paper come through and today not a lot of rise in the water,
    But a little, maybe a few tablespoons. Here is some more detailed info: the
    Second drain (hole in concrete with what appears to be horizontal pipe on each
    End with standing water in the middle) is 20" from the drain with the ball valve
    and cleanout plug. the ball drain opening is 6.5 " hole in concrete and the
    Second drain is the same diameter. Up the wall from the second drain is
    Electrical outlet (conduit attached to concrete wall) is looks to be old or
    Original due to it being two wire (no ground).
    Could this be where the sump pump would be, did I mention that there is not a
    Sump pump in the basement? The plumber (s) that I have had look at it says the
    Hole is not large enough for a sump pump?
    Thank you again for your attention.
    Jp

It would be helpful if you would tell us what size3 the holes in the floor are. I think your plumber's wrong. A float switch just shouts sump pump at you.
    The other sounds like a gravity sump to drain away any water that may built up in your basement. My concern is that it may not be trapped because it's for sure it's tied in with the main and may be allowing sewer gas to escape into your house. I would have that checked and corrected. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1960's and 1970's Female Vocalists [ 7 Answers ]

If you were to create a mix tape of female pop/soft rock vocalists who were mostly popular during the 1960's and 1970's, who all would you include? I can think of singers such as Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Buffy St. Marie, Joan Baez, Helen Reddy, Roberta Flack, and Karen Carpenter. But my...

Old house basement sump - what is it? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1916 house with a basement with a concrete floor. There is a round 12" diameter hole (sump) in the basement floor about 18" deep. The basement sink and washing machine, kitchen sink and basement shower drain into it and it drains into the main sewer line. There is a rusted iron top on...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Basement drain hole.can I drain washing machine with this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all.. im new here.ive owned my home for about 5 years and I'm still learing... my current dilemna is that I want move my wsher and dryer to the basement.I think I know how to handle the hot and cold water plumbing but I don't know what to do about the drain... now my basement has a drain hole in...

View more questions Search