Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josh_A Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Apr 14, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Honda Accord starts but won't stay on
    I have a '94 Honda Accord. I read some of the q&a's here, and saw the I and II key settings mentioned but not III.

After driving around today, I came home for a few minutes, then went outside and tried to start the car. I turned the key to III, it turned over, and then let the key go and... the engine stops immediately. Tried a couple times. No weird sounds, everything seems normal and then surprise, the car's not on.

I come in here, find this site, read a bit, go out and open the doors and hood to let it cool off. After a while I go back out and try again, same thing. Start to come inside, realize I forgot to notice the check engine light before posting my question, go back to the car and boom, it starts. <sigh> The check engine light did flash briefly, by the way.

So in a minute I get to go try again and see if my car will work. Does this sound like the main relay getting too hot?

Also, don't know if it's related somehow, my antenna won't go down anymore either. I hear the noise of whatever is supposed to make it go up or down, but it doesn't move.
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 14, 2007, 03:15 PM
    I didn't gather whether your engine was starting - I am assuming it is and then stops when you release the key. It might be your ignition switch. See if you can hold the key forward a little in the II position once the engine starts. When you let go, if the engine dies (along with tachometer/lights) then you probably need the electrical portion of your ignition switch replaced.
    Josh_A Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Apr 17, 2007, 01:54 PM
    That was exactly it. They replaced the ignition switch... and now I find the power lock switches on the inside will lock the doors, but not unlock them!

And when I put the key in the passenger side door it won't unlock them, when I turn it the passenger side door lock goes up mechanically but when I let go it goes back down; none of the other locks respond, and normally they would all unlock.

It wasn't like that before. Any idea what happened?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

91 honda civics starts but won't continue to run [ 2 Answers ]

I have a "91" honda civic 1500 with 189,000 mi. I changed the plugs and wires but the still have the same problem. The car will start and run for several seconds normaly then die. The only way to keep it running is to pump the gas peddle vigorously. The car will continue to run a little longer but...

96' Honda Accord almost starts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Honda Accord with the four cylinder motor. It is an automatic with air conditioning. My problem is this: when I attempt to start the car it cranks perfectly and hits well enough for me to let off the ignition because it seems to have started. But it doesn't keep running. It will...

1990 Honda Accord starts, warms up, and stops [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Accord that starts in the morning just fine, warms up for about 6 to 8 minutes, and then stops (tach bounces around just before it dies). After it stops, it will not start right away. If I wait 2 to 3 minutes, the car starts again (normally) and runs fine the rest of the day with no...

91 Honda Civic starts by itself [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic that tries to start by itself with no key in the ignition. It will keep going until you take the cable off the battery. Wondering if this is a starter problem or an ignition problem. :confused:

View more questions Search