Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acmartina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Johne Deere L110 - Starter spins but does not engage
    Hi,

I have a John Deere L110 (almost 3 yrs). After sitting idle most of the winter, I went to start it up and got nothing. Re-charged the battery and now I get the starter motor spinning very fast ("whirring" sound), but it does not seem to engage the flywheel.

I see from some other posts on this site that the solenoid is the usual suspect. Does the solenoid have to do with the starter motor turning? Or popping the starter gear up to engage the flywheel? I would think the latter?

Finally, I went to the John Deere website and located the Starter parts diagram - see below. It does not identify any particular part as the solenoid. No. 2 looks like the drive gear to me. No. 3 is a brush. No. 8 is labeled armature. Help please!:o :) :rolleyes:

Thanks.
    Steve H.
    Cypress, TX

AdkGal Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Steve.. it's NOT the solenoid. Trust me on this, as I had the same problem last summer with my garden tractor. If it was the solenoid, the starter wouldn't spin at all. The part you need on a car would be the starter drive. I don't know what it is called on a tractor, but according to your diagram, it would be the parts in #2, I believe. What is happening is... the starter is spinning, and it should be spinning the starter gear up to the fly wheel to turn the engine over, but the gear isn't getting there. It was an easy fix on my tractor.

Good Luck,
    Jackie in upstate NY
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Feb 27, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Jackie is right, the starter gear #2 has friction washers and when the starter spins these cause the gear to drag a little and the gear then rotates up the spiral cut shaft. I would lube the spiral cut shaft with a penetrate (look at item#8) because grooves will gum up and the gear cannot move up.

Happens all the time.
    Don
    acmartina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Thanks Don, Jackie. I see what you mean. That makes a lot of sense, especially given it hasn't been run in a couple of months. I did try rapping the side of the starter with a wrench while it was turning over to see if it would pop free, but no luck. This weekend I will take it apart and clean it up. Thanks again.:)

Steve
    ED Rice Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Steve,

Have you considered taking the starter off and taking it to a Battery & Electric
    Shop? It sounds like the bendix to me (#2). The starter motor is not engaging
    The fly wheel on the engine. I think the Spring often becomes weak, etc.

ED Rice
    alanhaas83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 01:19 PM
    I have the same problem but I have put 2 new starters on and get the same results starter spins strong but will not engage flywheel. I also put a new battery in could the battery not having the right amount of cold cranking amps have something to do with this
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2011, 04:07 PM

Sounds like you have your battery hooked up wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L110 Starting Problem [ 16 Answers ]

The mower will start, but it takes a while. When I turn the key it will just make a clicking sound or the starter will try to engage but doesn't seem to have enough power to turn the flywheel. I replaced the starter thinking that is the problem. The battery was replaced less than a year ago. The...

John Deere L110 Carburetor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a John Deere L110 that's about 3 years old and it does not want to run it has little or no power and back fires a lot when it finally does start. I have tried the kohler carburetor rebuild kit with no luck

2001 Honda Civic - Starter - Can you show me the location of the starter? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having starting problems with my 2001 Honda Civic EX 4DR. This is the first problem with the car and I can't find the starter. Can you help?

Jd l110 - nO gO [ 2 Answers ]

Was mowing lawn this AM just picking up leafs when the mower stopped. Engine runs fine but will not move. Free wheeling lever is full in. parkiing brake is off. Just prior to stoppage I got a whiff of Rubber smoke. It's a automatic txmsn Thanks. I looked under the machine and can see no missing...

John Deere L110 Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deere L110 that I purchased used about 2 months ago. I have a snow blade attachment with it and was using it. I do not have the chains and weights for this yet. My problem is I was pushing the snow and my wheels kept spinning. So I got off the mower and pulled the mower...

View more questions Search