Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daronson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Mower wouldn't move forward/backward, broken spring
    Craftsman 42" tractor (Model# 917272453) stopped moving. I felt the brake/clutch go down with a clunk right before it happened. When in gear I can pull UP on the clutch (engaging the belt) and it moves just fine. I thought the belt had stretched and failed, this happened in 2003 (when mower was 1 year old). Sears service came and replaced the belt (whopping 250 bucks!) but it doesn't drive right. When in high gear, it starts real slow, then eventually picks up speed. The repair guy said it's a new belt so it should be smoother.? He also said I don't need to step on the clutch to shift, this just delays the belt from tensioning. After he left (of course) I noticed a spring just hanging in a hole on the front right frame (gear side) and it looks like the other side of the spring snapped off (no hook). To me (SOMEWHAT mechanically inclined) it looks like this is the problem, some sort of clutch spring, but of course the owners manual doesn't appear to show it. If it does show it (#152 on mower deck diagram) it doesn't show where it attaches to the frame.

Is this the source of my problem? I would like to find out before I call sears and demand them to come back.

Thanks.
    Dave
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 08:41 AM

It's possible. Check Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com and navigate the diagrams until you can find the spring. You may have to print them out. You can purchase parts there too.

Springs can be tricky to install.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 11:55 AM

Hi,
    The manual is of little help other than to tell you that the clutch return spring is #105709X and the drawings do not show attachment points. The idler affected is identified as the clutching idler and can be assumed that it attaches there and to some point on the frame that pulls it to engagement.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Oct 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
    The spring attaches to the frame in front of the engine on the right side as you are seated in the mower. It goes above the front axle and clips into the hole in the frame.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singing ABC's forward AND backward - helpful or harmful? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been teaching Pre-K for 12 years and I teach the Kids to sing their alphabet forward and backward. They love it, it's a talent, it trains the brain and it Certainly raises their self-esteem. How many people can Say that they can sing the alphabet backwards? Anyway, I...

Craftsman 42in. Jerks when trying to move forward or backward [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 42 in riding mower. After we manually engage the blades, slide the lever up for the belts to turn, we then push the speed lever forward. We normally have to push this lever almost all the way to the stop before it moves and when it does move, it is a big jerk. Last summer I had the gas...

How to move forward [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I get that I'm in a rut and have only had 2 major relationships in my 44 years. I've been hurt badly by the last one. My questions are 1. how do you move forward and 2. ewhere do you meet new men? I really don't have girlfriends - my 2 exes were pretty controlling and now I realize that...

View more questions Search